On Thursday 16 April 2009 13:22:11 Theodore Kilgore wrote:
> [...]
> > Aiptek PenCam VGA+, 08ca:0111).  Here are my observations.
> >
> > FF FF 00 FF 96 6x x0 xx xx xx xx xx
> >
> > In binary that looks something like this:
> >
> > 11111111 11111111 00000000 11111111
> > 10010110 011001aa a1010000 bbbbbbbb
> > bbbbbbbb cccccccc ccccdddd dddddddd
> >
> > All of the values look to be MSbit first.  A looks like a 3-bit frame
> > sequence number that seems to start with 1 and increments for each frame.
>
> Hmmm. This I never noticed. What you are saying is that the two bytes 6x
> and x0 are variable? You are sure about that? What I have previously
> experienced is that the first is always 64 with these cameras, and the
> second one indicates the absence of compression (in which case it is 0,
> which of course only arises for still cameras), or if there is data
> compression then it is not zero. I have never seen this byte to change
> during a session with a camera. Here is a little table of what I have
> previously witnessed, and perhaps you can suggest what to do in order to
> see this is not happening:
>
> Camera                that byte       compression     solved, or not
> streaming
> Aiptek                00              no              N/A             no
> Aiptek                50              yes             yes             both
> the Sakar cam 00              no              N/A             no
> ditto         50              yes             yes             both
> Argus QuikClix        20              yes             no      doesn't work
> Argus DC1620  50              yes             yes     doesn't work
> CIF cameras   00              no              N/A             no
> ditto         50              yes             yes             no
> ditto         d0              yes             no              yes
>
> Other strange facts are
>
> -- that the Sakar camera, the Argus QuikClix, and the
> DC1620 all share the same USB ID of 0x93a:0x010f and yet only one of them
> will stream with the existing driver. The other two go through the
> motions, but the isoc packets do not actually get sent, so there is no
> image coming out. I do not understand the reason for this; I have been
> trying to figure it out and it is rather weird. I should add that, yes,
> those two cameras were said to be capable of streaming when I bought them.
> Could it be a problem of age? I don't expect that, but maybe.
>
> -- the CIF cameras all share the USB id of 0x93a:0x010e (I bought several
> of them) and they all are using a different compression algorithm while
> streaming from what they use if running as still cameras in compressed
> mode. This leads to the question whether it is possible to set the
> compression algorithm during the initialization sequence, so that the
> camera also uses the "0x50" mode while streaming, because we already know
> how to use that mode.
>
> But I have never seen the 0x64 0xX0 bytes used to count the frames. Could
> you tell me how to repeat that? It certainly would knock down the validity

I've modified libv4l to print out the 12-byte header before it skips over it.
Then when I fire up mplayer it prints out each header as each frame is
received.  The framerate is only about 5 fps so there isn't a ton of data to
parse through.  When I point the camera into a light I get this (at 640x480):

ff ff 00 ff 96 64 d0 c1 5c c6 00 00
ff ff 00 ff 96 65 50 c1 5c c6 00 00
ff ff 00 ff 96 65 d0 c1 5c c6 00 00
ff ff 00 ff 96 66 50 c1 5c c6 00 00
ff ff 00 ff 96 66 d0 c1 5c c6 00 00
ff ff 00 ff 96 67 50 c1 5c c6 00 00
ff ff 00 ff 96 67 d0 c1 5c c6 00 00
ff ff 00 ff 96 64 50 c1 5c c6 00 00
ff ff 00 ff 96 64 d0 c1 5c c6 00 00
ff ff 00 ff 96 65 50 c1 5c c6 00 00

Only those 3 bits change, and it looks like a counter to me.  Take a look at
the gspca-mars (MR97113A?) subdriver.  I think it tries to accommodate the
frame sequence number when looking for the SOF.

Maybe all or part of the 7 bytes between A and B specify the compression?
That explains all but the last row of your table since (0xd0 & 0x7f) == 0x50.
Double-check that it's actually d0 if you can, and that it is a constant d0
unlike the toggling between 50 and d0 above.

For your cameras that aren't streaming anything, do they stream in Windows?
If so, have you tried snooping the USB traffic?  I'm curious if their drivers
use a slightly different initialization sequence, or if some of the
initialization data varies between runs.  I know some of the initialization
data varied between runs for the pencam, and I don't know what kind of effect
it has on the camera.

-Kyle