Hi Guennadi,

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Guennadi Liakhovetski
<g.liakhovet...@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Dongsoo, Nathaniel Kim wrote:
>
>> Hi Guennadi,
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 4:58 AM, Guennadi Liakhovetski
>> <g.liakhovet...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> >
>> > Ok, now I understand your comments to my soc-camera thread better. Now,
>> > what about making one (or more) video devices with V4L2_CAP_VIDEO_CAPTURE
>> > type and one with V4L2_CAP_VIDEO_OUTPUT? Then you can use your capture
>> > type devices to switch between cameras and to configure input, and your
>> > output device to configure preview? Then you can use soc-camera to control
>> > your capture devices (if you want to of course) and implement an output
>> > device directly. It should be a much simpler device, because it will not
>> > be communicating with the cameras and only modify various preview
>> > parameters.
>> >

>> It's a cool idea! Adding my understanding to your comment,
>>
>> 1. make preview device a video output
>> => it makes sense. but codec path also has dedicated DMA to frame buffer.
>> What should we do with that? I have no idea by now.
>
> Add a V4L2_CAP_VIDEO_OVERLAY capability and if the user requests
> V4L2_BUF_TYPE_VIDEO_OVERLAY - configure direct output to framebuffer?

OK that's an idea. Then we can use preview as video output device and
codec device as a capture device with overlay capability.

>> 2. preview device can have two inputs
>>    a) input from camera device : ok it's an ordinary way
>>    b) input from MSDMA : we can give RGB data upto 720P to preview
>> device with rotating and resizing supported
>>
>> Does it sound ok?
>
> Yes, looks good to me:-)
>
>> BTW, OMAP3 has similar feature with this. omap vout something?
>> And by now I'm gonna make my driver with soc camera subsystem without
>> VIDIOC_S_INPUT/G_INPUT, but I'm still desperate for that.
>
> Don't dispair - better send a patch when good times return (i.e., when we
> are fully with v4l2-subdev):-)

Priority job first and let's talk about it later. I also have to
convert my sensor drivers into v4l2-subdev drivers before I post my
patches to the list.
Cheers,

Nate

> Thanks
> Guennadi
> ---
> Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.
> Freelance Open-Source Software Developer

DongSoo, Nathaniel Kim
Engineer
Mobile S/W Platform Lab.
Digital Media & Communications R&D Centre
Samsung Electronics CO., LTD.
e-mail : dongsoo....@gmail.com
          dongsoo45....@samsung.com