On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, Andy Walls wrote:

On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 21:43 -0500, Theodore Kilgore wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, Andy Walls wrote:

Interesting. To answer your question, I have no idea off the top of my
head. I do have what seems to be a similar camera. It is

Bus 005 Device 006: ID 0979:0371 Jeilin Technology Corp., Ltd

and the rest of the lsusb output looks quite similar. I do not know,
though, if it has any chance of working as a webcam. Somehow, the thought
never occurred to me back when I got the thing. I would have to hunt some
stuff down even to know if it is claimed to work as a webcam.

The packaging that mine came in claims "3-in-1":

digital video camcorder (with microphone)
digital camera
web cam

You did say that it comes up as a different USB device when it is a
webcam? You mean, a different product ID or so?

Yes

Look for this in the original lsusb output I provided
:
Webcam mode:

Bus 003 Device 005: ID 0979:0280 Jeilin Technology Corp., Ltd
Device Descriptor:

Oops, right you are. Blame it on my old eyes. They are the same age as the rest of me, but sometimes they feel older.

Another thing I could not see in front of me when I looked at my Jeilin Mass Storage camera, was what is written on it. It says there it is a Cobra DMC300, and it says

"Digital Video & Camera"

I never paid any attention to that before, because for years my priorities were still cameras. But now, just in case I have lost the driver CD, I went out to Google and found what claims to be a driver for it. I hope that, with such a long idleness just sitting on a back corner of the desk, the battery has not died in the camera. If I get some time in the next few days to try to fight Windows, I will make some logs of my own. Then we can compare notes and see if the two cameras are similar, or not. What I am hoping for, obviously, is that both cameras are downloading JPEG frames, and use similar methods to do that. If that is true (we don't know that, of course) then the only problem I can imagine is that both of them are reported, even in webcam mode, as Mass Storage Bulk Transport devices. If so, then the camera(s) would need to be blacklisted by mass-storage when set up as webcams.

Now that I got the supposed driver, I should go out on the web and get the supposed manual for my camera. Then perhaps I can know how it is supposed to be used as a webcam and get the needed sniffs. Meanwhile, I hope that you will do the same.

Theodore Kilgore