On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Markus Rechberger<mrechber...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Devin
> Heitmueller<dheitmuel...@kernellabs.com> wrote:
>> Hello Mauro,
>>
>> Please pull from
>> http://kernellabs.com/hg/~dheitmueller/pinnacle_hybrid_2881 for the
>> following:
>>
>> em28xx: set GPIO properly for Pinnacle Hybrid Pro analog support
>> em28xx: make support work for the Pinnacle Hybrid Pro (eb1a:2881)
>>

> You might add a message to dmesg, that this setting can burn other
> devices which use the eb1a:2881 vendor/productid. Especially Pinnacle
> they didn't add Svideo/Composite to their device and it works slightly
> different than the others.
>
> Best Regards,
> Markus

Hello Markus,

Thank you for taking the time to review the patch and provide
feedback.  Two questions:

1.  Are you suggesting that a warning be shown if someone manually
uses "card=52", or do you mean that we should show a warning if they
actually have the Pinnacle Hybrid Pro 320e?  I am using an eeprom
checksum to ensure that not all devices with eb1a:2881 use the device
profile, but rather only devices with the matching hash, so in theory
the profile should only be associated with that one card.

2.  Are there any additional details you can provide about the
differences in the Pinnacle device you know of which is wired up
differently than all the others?

Personally, I would like to get rid of the "card=" modprobe option
completely, as it presents a considerable risk of users who do not
know any better damaging their hardware.

I am obviously very concerned about any cases where devices could be
damaged, and any additional information you could provide to help
mitigate that risk is certainly welcome.

Cheers,

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs