<Snip>

>> I don't see any control IDs available for Bayer RGB color space.
>>
>> In our video hardware, there is a set of Gain values that can be applied
>to the Bayer RGB data. We can apply them individually to R, Gr, Gb or B
>color components. So I think we need to have 4 more controls defined for
>doing white balancing in the Bayer RGB color space that is applicable for
>sensors (like MT9T031) and image tuning hardware like the VPFE CCDC&  IPIPE.
>>
>> Define following new controls for these in Bayer RGB color space White
>Balance (WB) controls??
>>
>> V4L2_CID_BAYER_RED_BALANCE   integer Bayer Red balance.
>> V4L2_CID_BAYER_BLUE_BALANCE  integer Bayer Blue balance.
>> V4L2_CID_BAYER_GREEN_R_BALANCE       integer Bayer Gr balance.
>> V4L2_CID_BAYER_GREEN_B_BALANCE       integer Bayer Gb balance.
>>
>> There is also an offset value defined per color which is like adjusting
>the black level in the video image data. It is subtracted from the image
>byte.
>> What you call this ? Should we define a new control,
>V4l2_CID_BAYER_OFFSET ??
>>

>I can't help but wonder if we should export all these as controls. One can
>probably export about 90% of the registers of a sensor as controls,
>but then why write a driver at all, why not just give the user an
>application to set the registers himself them ?

I can agree that we don't expect all registers exported to user space as
control. I have consulted with our internal (Texas Instruments) sensor experts.
Our customers need to change the Gains mentioned above as part of the Automatic
White Balance algorithm which runs in the user space. So these needs to be
exported to user space either as a proprietary control or as a standard
control. These Gains have maximum, minimum and a default values and looks
similar to a control function. So The idea of sending this email was to see if
any other hardware has similar functionality. If so, it is worth adding it to
the list of standard Control IDs. If not, it can stay as a proprietary control
ID, but then we need a way to set proprietary controls.

>When it comes to controls, less is more IMHO.
>
>So the question is can't we give these registers a sensible default setting
>and leave it at that?

As I have said, this will not work for AWB algorithm implementation.

>And currently the answer to that is yes, there currently are 2 ways to do
>whitebalance for sensors
>under Linux:
>1) The sensor does it in hardware (using per color gains like above)

Why not let VPFE image processing modules to do this as well ?

>2) libv4l does whitebalancing in software, in this case case a software
>gain is used as we can
>    control that very precisely and libv4l does not know the exact gain
>factor (and has no way to find
>    out) of per color gains exported through controls, so we just apply a
>software per color gain,
>    which we can control exactly.

In my opinion, both hardware and software options should be available to
application so that it can choose one over other.

>So currently the best thing todo is, either:
>a) make the sensor do hardware whitebalance if it can (much prefered), or:
Hardware here also should refers to image processing hardware like VPFE. So
this calls for adding these control IDs to list of available control IDs. This
are required for CCDC as well as IPIPE hardware modules in VPFE to do TI AWB
algorithm.

>b) set all the per color gains in their default / middle position and
>handle
>    the whitebalancing fully in software.

Our customers would like to use VPFE based AWB algorithm that needs to set
Gains in VPFE as well as sensors. So this is a NACK for our hardware.