I was wondering if anyone could please point me at a list or similar
resource for USB capture devices which support raw (or sliced) VBI
access for producing a closed caption transcript through software such
as zbvi-ntsc-cc or ccextractor? Specifically I'm wanting a device
capable of S-Video, Composite, or even Component input, not just ATSC,
as most USB devices seem focused around these days.

        I've managed to get this working with various ivtv and saa713x based
PCI devices, but aren't aware of any USB implementations of chipsets
which use those drivers.

        Searching online, I found this archived message:

http://lists.zerezo.com/video4linux/msg16402.html

which states:

> some em2840 and newer devices are able to capture raw vbi in
> linux (sliced vbi isn't possible yet)
> em2820, em2800, em2750 do not support vbi at all.

        Checking the em28xx driver homepage for recent models, I found this
entry:

http://mcentral.de/wiki/index.php5/Em2880

> officially the em2880 is em2840 + DVB_T

        which implies that not only is the "em2880" series a "newer" device,
but it should in fact already contain the "em2840" chip specifically
mentioned.

        Later on that same page, in the list of devices:

ATI/AMD TV Wonder 600

        and on the manufacturer's page:

http://ati.amd.com/products/tvwonder600/usb/index.html

        Under the list of "Input Connectors":

> S-video input with adapter

        Picking up one of these devices, I attempted to tune into the S-Video
feed and check the /dev/vbi0 device, but received the same error message
as I do with all other em28xx devices encountered thus far:

> Cannot capture vbi data with v4l interface:
> /dev/vbi0 (AMD ATI TV Wonder HD 600) is not a raw vbi device.

        Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

        I would much prefer to be certain the next purchase is supported.

Thanks!

Steve

--

Steve Castellotti