Actually I just realised...

I think when the system reboots it will only load the modules it needs from /lib/modules/[kernel version]/kernel/drivers/media...
It won't load everything in that directory into the kernel/memory right?

So the only reason one might want to use "make menuconfig"; is to prevent irrelevant compiled modules ending up in...
/lib/modules/[kernel version]/kernel/drivers/media

Feel free to correct if this understanding is wrong.

Cheers

Jed wrote:
I installed _all_ dvb-v4l modules after compiling latest source because at the time I couldn't use "make menuconfig" (didn't have ncurses installed) Is there a way I can retrospectively remove some compiled/installed modules so that I'm only using the ones I need? I only need modules associated with: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Saa7162_devices#DNTV_PCI_Express_cards

Cheers,
Jed