Em Mon, 14 Sep 2009 21:02:52 -0700
David Liontooth <lionte...@cogweb.net> escreveu:

> As for the ventilation issue for USB devices, that may not be a serious
> obstacle. If the USB sticks such as Hauppauge HVR-950 have reliable
> components, we could strip the plastic casing and mount the unit next to
> a fan inside the case.

Yes, this may work.

Don't forget that, if you use USB devices, you'll probably need one separate USB
buses per each device, due to USB limits in terms of the maximum number of isoc
packets per second. If you don't require high quality, you could try to use
a format that requires less than 16 bits per pixel or 320x240 pixels, in order
to have more than one device per bus.

> I would be happy to use bttv, but I can't find cards. I also need to
> grab audio off the PCI bus, which only some bttv cards support.
>
> We've been using saa7135 cards for several years with relatively few
> incidents, but they occasionally drop audio.
> I've been unable to find any pattern in the audio drops, so I haven't
> reported it -- I have no way to reproduce the error, but it happens
> regularly, affecting between 3 and 5% of recordings. Audio will
> sometimes drop in the middle of a recording and then resume, or else
> work fine on the next recording.

saa7134 has a thread to detect audio audio stereo mode. Maybe there is a bug
somewhere there.

> Our fallback is ivtv. I was hoping to use USB so that we could get
> blades instead of 3U cases; it's also getting hard to find good
> motherboards with four PCI slots.

The current best relation in terms of slots is the new cx25821. It has 8
simultaneous inputs at 60 fps per each PCIe board. If you don't need a tuner,
this design could be very interesting. The driver was written by Conexant, and
it is not yet present on any distribution (I just committed it today - at
staging - since it needs some cleanups to match kernel CodingStyle).

Cheers,
Mauro