Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 15.09.2009, 00:55 -0400 schrieb Michael Krufky:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 12:43 AM, hermann pitton
> <hermann-pit...@arcor.de> wrote:
> >
> > Am Dienstag, den 15.09.2009, 00:18 -0400 schrieb Michael Krufky:

> >> I have to admit that I am not familiar enough with SECAM myself to see
> >> this kind of trouble.  For NTSC and PAL, tvtime is a great application
> >> -- the only shortcoming that bothers me about tvtime is lack of audio
> >> support.  One must rely on a separate mechanism to hear audio, whether
> >> it's a patch cable from the tv tuner to the sound board, or a separate
> >> application decoding DMA audio.  ...but that is not what this email
> >> thread is about.
> >>
> >> As far as simple tuning and analog television viewing goes, tvtime
> >> rocks.  Is it really that difficult for SECAM users?
> >>
> >> In summary, you are telling us that we need to add userspace controls
> >> to handle gain control, for tuning SECAM.  I am going to have to ask
> >> for help on this topic from those cc'd on this email.  (Adding Hans
> >> Verkuil, as I value his opinion for controls and dealing with video
> >> standards in high regard)
> >>
> >> Personally, I don't quite understand why we would need to add such
> >> controls NOW, while we've supported this video standard for years
> >> already.  I am not arguing against this in any way, but I dont feel
> >> like I'm qualified to accept this addition without hearing the
> >> opinions of others first.
> >>
> >> Can somebody help to shed some light?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Mike
> >
> > Mike,
> >
> > i did discuss this with Dmitri a lot on the list previously.
> >
> > I destroyed one of my FM1216ME/I MK3 tuners, searched all websites in
> > China, to convince him not to do that for the original Philips tuners.
> >
> > Andy was also pretty active on it, thanks for your help.
> >
> > However, it is for now only about that TCL MK3, using different filters
> > than the original Philips stuff, and their labs have clear results, that
> > they can improve SECAM-DK this way for their users.
>
> Thanks for the comment, Hermann.
>
> Do you think there is any way that we can automate this without having
> to expose an additional user control?
>
> If you believe that it's necessary, I am fine with adding this, but I
> will need Mauro to agree on it as well -- that's why I'm asking for
> some argument points.

We can automate this. Just ignore Chinese tuners ...
Don't forget, Hauppauge is still leading on that.

Likely we support hundreds already, since main chips are the same and
they have to fight on the discrets to get some cent out per device.

> Some questions that he might ask -- why do we need this in the saa7134
> driver but not the other drivers?  Is this specific to this TCL MK3
> only?  Could doing this help to improve SECAM support for users of
> other tuners?

I don't fear Mauro's questions ;), but those not aware off, including
me.

Simple answer. I'm not on any SECAM-DK and can't tell _at all_.

Cheers,
Hermann