On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 10:01:54 -0300
Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mche...@s-opensource.com> wrote:

> 3) When there's an asterisk inside the source code, for example, to
> document a pointer, or when something else fails when parsing a
> header file, kernel-doc handler just outputs:
>       /devel/v4l/patchwork/Documentation/media/kapi/mc-core.rst:137: WARNING:
> Inline emphasis start-string without end-string.
>       /devel/v4l/patchwork/Documentation/media/kapi/mc-core.rst:470: WARNING:
> Explicit markup ends without a blank line; unexpected unindent.
>
> pointing to a fake line at the rst file, instead of pointing to the
> line inside the parsed header where the issue was detected, making
> really hard to identify what's the error.
>
> In this specific case, mc-core.rst has only 260 lines at the time I got
> such error.

This sounds like the same warning issue that Daniel was dealing with.
Hopefully his config change will at least make these easier to deal with.

I wonder, though, if we could make kernel-doc a little smarter about
these things so that the Right Thing happens for this sort of inadvertent
markup?  If we could just recognize and escape a singleton *, that would
make a lot of things work.

jon