Is xc2028 tuner able to autodetect/handle different sound carrier standards
without being spoon-fed precise input system information using module param
or ioctl?

Got an ivtv board here (AverTV MCE 116) with xc2028 and cx25843.

When I specify a generic standard using 'v4l2-ctl -s pal', xc2028 loads
firmware specific to PAL-BG, so if there is an PAL-DK or PAL-I signal on RF
input... nice picture but no sound. Setting a more precise standard like
'v4l2-ctl -s pal-dk' fixes the issue, but other PAL-BG or PAL-I channels
loose sound.

Bttv board with a tin-can tuner sitting on the same RF source autodetects
PAL-BG, PAL-DK and PAL-I without any manual intervention.

So any voodoo tricks to get the autodetection running?