Hi Jacek,

On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 11:04:20PM +0100, Jacek Anaszewski wrote:
> Hi Sakari,
>
> On 11/24/2016 01:17 PM, Sakari Ailus wrote:
> >Hi Jacek,
> >
> >Thanks for the patchset.
> >
> >On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 04:35:19PM +0200, Jacek Anaszewski wrote:
> >>Add helper functions that allow for easy instantiation of media_device
> >>object basing on whether the media device contains v4l2 subdev with
> >>given file descriptor.
> >
> >Doesn't this work with video nodes as well? That's what you seem to be using
> >it for later on. And I think that's actually more useful.
> >
> >The existing implementation uses udev to look up devices. Could you use
> >libudev device enumeration API to find the media devices, and fall back to
> >sysfs if udev doesn't work? There seems to be a reasonable-looking example
> >here:
> >
> ><URL:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25361042/how-to-list-usb-mass-storage-devices-programatically-using-libudev-in-linux>
>
> Actually I am calling media_get_devname_udev() at first and falling back
> to sysfs similarly as it is accomplished in media_enum_entities().
> Is there any specific reason for which I should use libudev device
> enumeration API in media_device_new_by_subdev_fd()?

Yes. You rely on the API udev provides; the sysfs implementation is just a
fallback in case udev isn't available in the system. I guess it'd mostly
work but, for instance, you assume sysfs is found under /sys. The sysfs
itself isn't one of the most stable APIs either. Udev is a simply better
option when it's there.

--
Kind regards,

Sakari Ailus