Hi Mauro,

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 09:13:05AM -0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Hi Sakari,
>
> I answered you point to point below, but I suspect that you missed how the
> current approach works. So, I decided to write a quick summary here.
>
> The character devices /dev/media? are created via cdev, with relies on a
> kobject per device, with has an embedded struct kref inside.
>
> Also, each kobj at /dev/media0, /dev/media1, ... is associated with a
> struct device, when the code does:
>       devnode->cdev.kobj.parent = &devnode->dev.kobj;
>
> before calling cdev_add().
>
> The current lifetime management is actually based on cdev's kobject's
> refcount, provided by its embedded kref.
>
> The kref warrants that any data associated with /dev/media0 won't be
> freed if there are any pending system call. In other words, when
> cdev_del() is called, it will remove /dev/media0 from the filesystem, and
> will call kobject_put().
>
> If the refcount is zero, it will call devnode->dev.release(). If the
> kobject refcount is not zero, the data won't be freed.
>
> So, in the best case scenario, there's no opened file descriptors
> by the time media device node is unregistered. So, it will free
> everything.
>
> In the worse case scenario, e. g. when the driver is removed or
> unbind while /dev/media0 has some opened file descriptor(s),
> the cdev logic will do the proper lifetime management.
>
> On such case, /dev/media0 disappears from the file system, so another open
> is not possible anymore. The data structures will remain allocated until
> all associated file descriptors are not closed.
>
> When all file descriptors are closed, the data will be freed.
>
> On that time, it will call an optional dev.release() callback,
> responsible to free any other data struct that the driver allocated.

The patchset does not change this. It's not a question of the media_devnode
struct either. That's not an issue.

The issue is rather what else can be accessed through the media device and
other interfaces. As IOCTLs are not serialised with device removal (which
now releases much of the data structures) there's a high chance of accessing
released memory (or mutexes that have been already destroyed). An example of
that is here, stopping a running pipeline after unbinding the device. What
happens there is that the media device is released whilst it's in use
through the video device.

<URL:http://www.retiisi.org.uk/v4l2/tmp/media-ref-dmesg2.txt>
<URL:http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg108943.html>

> Em Mon, 28 Nov 2016 12:45:56 +0200
> Sakari Ailus <sakari.ai...@iki.fi> escreveu:
>
> > Hi Mauro,
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 03:44:29PM -0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> > > Sorry for answering too late. Somehow, I missed this email in the cloud.

> > > So far, we're aligned.

> > > Removing devm_() from those drivers seem to be the first thing to do,
> > > and it is independent from any MC rework.
> > >
> > > As you'll see below, we have different opinions on other matters,
> > > so, my suggestion about how to proceed is that you should submit
> > > first the things we're aligned.
> > >
> > > In other words, please submit the patches that get rid of devm_()
> > > first. Then, we can address the remaining stuff.
> >
> > Removing devm_*() is needed, but when should the memory be released then?
> > There's no callback currently from the media device the driver could use.
>
> It should be easy to add a release callback if you need. Yet, I think you
> don't need a callback for that. Instead, you could just use the already
> existing one at struct device, e. g. export media_devnode_release() and,
> on drivers that need to release additional data, you would be doing something
> like:
>
>       static void my_devnode_release(struct device *cd)
>       {
>               // Some code that would release things before kfree(dev)
>               kthread_stop(foo_thread);
>               free(foo);
>
>               // will internally do a kfree(dev)
>               media_devnode_release(cd);
>
>               // Some code that would release things after kfree(dev)
>               free(bar);
>       }

I think we really want to make correct implementations easy for drivers, not
requiring e.g. to use the media_devnode interface directly. As device
removal isn't serialised with IOCTLs, every driver should do this in order
to prevent device driver's / framework IOCTL handlers operating on released
memory.

> And set the new release callback after registering the media device with:
>
>       media_device_register(...);
>       devnode->dev.release = my_devnode_release;
>
> The advantage of such approach is that it allows to control the order
> where things will be freed/released.

That's among the things the patchset does, but I think in a much nicer way.

> > OTOH devm_*() interfaces are very convenient to use, it's a lot of extra
> > work for drivers to handle releasing all the resources. It'd be great to
> > find another object where to bind those resources. Still, device_release()
> > does first release devres resources and then calls the release() callback,
> > which obviously makes the setup problematic to begin with.
>
> Shuah's approach is providing another way to bind things. Yet, maybe
> it could still be possible to use devm_*(), if it has a way to
> control when devm will free their resources. I suspect that, if you call
> devm_free() during dev.release() callback, or if you use the same struct
> device that is associated with the cdev, devm will work.

I wonder if we could use the media_devnode cdev's struct device to bind this
stuff to. It'd be gone when there's a certainty it'll no longer be needed.
The caveat is the release callback is called after the devres resources have
been released. So if a driver requires also the release callback, then it
has no longer access to memory allocated using devm_*() functions. I'd like
to have Laurent's opinion on this.

This solution is no longer enough when we have media devices where you can
remove entities, as those would only be released when the entire device is
gone. Or, there's a memory leak until removal of the media device. I don't
like that albeit there might be still very few practical problems.

> > > No. Data structures with cdev embedded into them have their lifetime
> > > controlled by the driver's core, and are destroyed only when there's
> > > no pending fops. The current approach uses device's core dev.release()
> >
> > Fair enough; that part is indeed handled towards the user space as far as I
> > can tell. However that's still not enough: the media graph contains the
> > graph objects, and the media device that holds the graph, must outlive the
> > graph objects themselves.

I meant to say that the media device, media graph and media graph objects
must stay around as long as they may be accessed from the user space. For
instance, the user may have a file handle opened from a video device, and the
media graph may be accessed through that file handle on media controller
enabled drivers. That's just one example.

This is what happens if you stop streaming in a pipeline after unbinding the
driver implementing the media device (same log as above):

<URL:http://www.retiisi.org.uk/v4l2/tmp/media-ref-dmesg2.txt>

> Sorry, didn't follow you here. What's the sense of not freeing the media
> graph before destroying the struct device associated with /dev/media0?
> In other words, what should outlive after chardev's data is freed?
>
> Please notice that the driver's core kobject kref ensures that the device
> release code is called only after all file descriptors are closed, and
> no other syscall would affect the cdev.
>
> > Also removing entities doesn't really work currently: touching an entity, a
> > link or any kind of a graph object is not guaranteed to work unless you hold
> > the media graph lock. And that's simply unfeasible.
>
> Sorry, again, didn't follow you here. The current strategy for adding
> and removing things at the graph relies on a lock, with serializes access
> to the graph, in order to avoid races if someone is trying to navigate on
> the graph while an object is being inserted or removed.

The graph mutex is taken during graph walk but nothing guarantees that, say,
an entity that was obtained during the graph walk will stay around once the
graph mutex is released.

An alternative would be to add refcounts to entities. That'd allow removing
graph objects safely during the media device lifetime. The streaming would
certainly need to be stopped first though.

> It could be converted into a lockless approach (for example, using RCU),
> but this is a separate issue.

V4L2 sub-devices, besides an entity, may contain a device node as well. The
data structures span multiple drivers and may span multiple sub-systems
(think of ALSA) as well. The media entity is embedded in a sub-device data
structure allocated by drivers. Drivers, also other drivers that walk the
media graph, do make use of this knowledge to obtain sub-devices and access
controls in them.

> The removal code needs to use whatever lock (or lockless) schema we
> use to serialize the access to the graph.
>
> > Just look at what the
> > drivers do with entities: they use the v4l2_subdev interface and the control
> > framework to access them.
> >
> > These data structures contain struct media_entity in them, and that entity
> > is part of the media graph. Other drivers use entities e.g. to obtain
> > control values from them. References should be used to prevent releasing the
> > memory.
>
> References are used by the driver's core, using kobject_get() and
> kobject_put(). That warrants that dev.release() will only be called
> when nobody is using it anymore.

Yes, but this does not reach entities. Their lifetime is not related to
that.

> > media_entity_get() and media_entity_put() do not do what you'd expect.
>
> Please elaborate.

The functions simply get / put the module that owns the media entity. The
entities as such are not refcounted, and acquiring the driver's module does
not guarantee the entities aren't released.

> > v4l2_subdev_call() should also verify that a sub-device is registered, and
> > make sure it will stay that way for the duration of call: the driver must be
> > able to expect the entity is accessible as the driver registered it.
>
> Yes, but I can't see how this is related to this discussion. Before
> unregistering struct device, you need to unbind the subdevs.
>
> The only case I can see of calling v4l2_subdev_call() after all file
> descriptors are closed is if you have some kthread running. You need to
> call kthread_stop() for such kthreads before freeing struct device.
>
> You could do it at a my_devnode_release() if you need the kthread running
> even after closing all file descriptors, or even before that, before
> calling media_device_unregister().
>
> > The same goes for the control framework.
>
> I don't think we have kthreads for controls. The control routines
> are called only when a file descriptor is opened. So, I don't see
> any possible issue with the control framework.

This isn't about kthreads; other drivers do this as well through
user-initiated actions. Such as starting or stopping streaming.

> > As far as I remember, we somehow assumed that just acquiring the related
> > kernel modules would be enough to counter this but it is not.
>
> Well, if not, you could use kobject_get() and kobject_put() to increment
> or decrement the cdev's refcount. Yet, I suspect that, if the drivers are
> properly designed, you won't need to manually touch at the kref.

Entities are not refcounted. You can't get a kobject as there's none to get.

> > I would prefer to postpone this however, the patchset already does enough
> > for a single patchset. Fixing this properly would likely require wait/wound
> > mutexes for individual entities.
> >
> > > callback to release memory.
> > >
> > > In other words, dev.release() is only called after the driver's base
> > > knows that the cdev is not in use anymore. So, no ioctl() or any
> > > other syscalls on that point.
> > >
> > > Ok, nothing prevents some driver to do the wrong thing, keeping a
> > > copy of struct device and using it after free, for example storing
> > > it on a devm alocated memory, and printing some debug message
> > > after struct device is freed, but this is a driver's bug.
> > >
> > > What really worries me on this series is that it seemed that you
> > > didn't understood how the current approach works. So, you decided
> > > to just revert it and start from scratch. This is dangerous, as
> > > it could cause problems to other scenarios than yours.
> >
> > I'm not quite sure what do you mean.
> >
> > It may well be that the patchset will require changes but that's precisely
> > the reason why patches are reviewed before merging.
>
> From your comments and from your code, you didn't seem to realize that
> the current approach relies at the struct device refcount. See above.

That refcount is only for struct media_devnode. It's simply not enough, as
I've elaborated:

- No serialisation between IOCTL and releasing media device memory.

        - This causes that once the IOCTL call has begun, media device may
          be released, and this released memory can be accessed by the IOCTL
          handler.

- Drivers and frameworks that access the media device through other device
  nodes such as V4L2 devices will also access released memory.

There could be others.

> > > Freeing memory for struct media_devnode, struct device and struct cdev
> > > is currently handled by the driver's core, when it known to be safe,
> > > and using the same logic that other subsystems do.
> >
> > That's simply not the case. Other sub-systems do not have graphs managed by
> > multiple device drivers for multiple physical devices that expose device
> > nodes through which all of those devices can be accessed. The problem domain
> > is far more complex than if you had a single physical device for which a
> > driver would expose a device node or two to the user space.
>
> No. The current approach uses the struct device associated with /dev/media0,
> created via cdev, to provide a refcount for the data associated with the
> character device.
>
> The struct device kobject refcount ensures that everything associated
> with it will only be freed after the refcount goes to zero.
>
> As I said before, if are there any cases where the refcount is going
> early to zero, it is just a matter of adding a few kobject_get() and
> kobject_put() to ensure that this won't happen early, if the driver is
> so broken that it is unable to do the right refcount.

That's correct, but it only applies to struct media_devnode. Nothing else.
Please see above.

> > > We might do it different, but we need a strong reason to do it, as
> > > going away from the usual practice is dangerous.
> >
> > I think we already did that when we merged the original Media controller and
> > V4L2 sub-device patches...

> > > Drivers could use devnode->dev.release for that. Of course, if they
> > > override it, they should be calling media_devnode_release() on their
> > > internal release functions.
> >
> > That'd be really hackish. The drivers currently don't deal with
> > media_devnode directly now and I don't think they should be obliged to.
>
> I'm not against adding a callback instead. However, that makes it lose
> flexibility, as the callback will either be called before of after
> freeing struct device.
>
> By overriding the dev.release callback, we have a finer control.
>
> If you don't see any case where we'll be freeing data after freeing
> struct device, then a callback would work.

> > > Drivers should allow device removal and/or driver removal. If you're
> > > doing any change here, you need to touch *all* drivers to use the new
> > > way.
> >
> > Let's first agree on what needs to be fixed and how, and then think about
> > converting the drivers. Buggy code has a tendency to continue to be buggy
> > unless it is fixed (or replaced).
>
> True, but as I said, this series create buggy code when it ignored what
> was fixed already. Also, a patch series to be considered ready for
> upstream need to do the needed changes on all drivers it affects.

> > > Well, send the patches that do the 95% of the changes first e. g. devm_()
> > > removal, and check if you aren't using any dev_foo() printk after
> > > unregister, and send such patch series, without RFC. Then test what's
> > > still broken, if any and let's discuss with your results, in a way
> > > that we can all reproduce the issues you may be facing on other drivers
> > > that don't use devm*().
> >
> > As I said, there's currently no way to properly release these resources as
> > the driver won't receive a callback from media device release.
>
> If you're so convinced that it is needed and you won't be overriding
> media device's struct device release callback, just add it. It should
> be a 3 lines patch.

Just the callback isn't enough. You need to get a reference to the kobject
when the graph components may be accessed.

Should we add reference counts to entities, we could add functions to get
references to entities, and make the media device their parent. That'd be a
largish change but it might not affect that many drivers after all.

> > > They won't. Device core won't call dev.release() while an ioctl doesn't
> > > finish. So, the struct device and struct devnode will exist while the
> > > ioctl (or any other fops) is handled.
> >
> > I believe you're right when it comes to drivers using video devices without
> > Media controller. However the Media devices and V4L2 sub-device nodes are
> > another matter as well as the drivers The drivers need to be able to rely on
> > the frameworks to support them. On MC the driver simply has no way to
> > release the media device at the right time. The same applies to V4L2
> > sub-devices --- something that could be added to the patchset.
>
> Huh? What's the sense of removing /dev/media0 and their associated
> struct device before releasing the media graph?
>
> The problem here is exactly the same as *any* other character device:
> you need *first* to stop using whatever data struct is needed for
> controlling /dev/media device and *then* removing /dev/media and
> freeing their data structures, including struct device.

I don't disagree about that particular point.

(Please see the beginning of the message as well.)

> [...]
> > > kind of patch that could cause messy errors, by cheating with the
> > > cdev's internal refcount checking.
> > >
> > > Btw, your approach require changes on *all* drivers, in order to make
> > > device release work, with is a way more complex than changing just the
> > > core. as the current approach.

> > > Those structs are still independent.

> > > As mentioned before, being based on a hack doesn't make it nice
> > > for upstream merging.
> > >
> > > The current approach uses the recommended way: the structure with
> > > cdev embedded should be dynamically allocated. Well, we could merge
> > > media_device and media_devnode, but, in this case, we'll need to
> > > not embed media_device, in order to avoid hacks like the above.
> >
> > The current approach is simply not enough, be cdev allocated separately from
> > media_devnode or not: the drivers have no way properly release memory
> > related to the media devices nor the v4l2 sub-devices. That memory will get
> > accessed through IOCTL calls: simply checking that a device was registered
> > at one point does not mean it continues to be registered in another point of
> > time in the future, unless the two operations are serialised in a way or
> > another.
>
> Huh? The current approach relies on kref.

> > > Are you sure? Did you try the tests we did with binding/unbind, device
> > > removal/insert and probe/remove of em28xx with your patches applied?
> >
> > I haven't tested that but as a matter of fact, I think I indeed have such
> > device so I could test it. Changes on the DVB side would be needed as well
> > in order to benefit from the API for allocating the media device.
> >

> > > With that regards, you should really test it on an USB device, with
> > > is hot-pluggable. There, you'll see a lot more memory lifetime issues
> > > than on omap3.
> >
> > I'm not so sure about USB devices: unbinding works the same way whether the
> > device is actually hot-pluggable. Still testing with different kind of
> > devices definitely does help to root out issues, that's for sure.

> > > The test cases we did works on em28xx. If, after each patch of this
> > > series,
> > > a regression happens, you need to address. I suspect that, even applying
> > > the entire series, there will still be regressions, as I don't see any
> > > changes to em28xx on this patch series.
> >
> > That's true, I've only changed the omap3isp driver so far as I wanted to get
> > feedback on the framework changes.

> > > Well, while it is not complete and still cause regressions, It can't be
> > > considered ready for upstream review.

> > > Good, but the best is to test it also on x86. Please notice that
> > > just compiling doesn't ensure that it doesn't introduce regressions.
> > >
> > > You should do your best to avoid regressions on every single patch
> > > on your patch series.
> >
> > Certainly. Other than that, there would be fewer patches than there is
> > now...

> > > Good! One more point we agree :-)
> >
> > That's progress. It's a good start but we need more than that.

Sakari Ailus
e-mail: sakari.ai...@iki.fi     XMPP: sai...@retiisi.org.uk