On 10/28/2009 08:40 PM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:10 PM, Bob Cunningham<rcunn...@acm.org>  wrote:
I just completed a fresh install of MythTV 0.22 RC1 on my fully-updated
Fedora 11 system.  My tuner is an HVR-950Q, connected to cable.  The tuner
works fine under tvtime (SD) and xine (HD).

All MythTV functions work, except LiveTV.  The problem is that mythfrontend
times out waiting for the HVR-950Q to tune to the first station.  This
appears to be due to the very long HVR-950Q firmware load time, since no
errors are reported by the backend.

Unfortunately, mythfrontend has a hard-wired 7 second timeout for most
requests sent to the backend.  It seems this timeout works fine under normal
circumstances for every other tuner MythTV works with.

The following is repeated in dmesg after every attempt:

  xc5000: waiting for firmware upload (dvb-fe-xc5000-1.6.114.fw)...
  usb 1-2: firmware: requesting dvb-fe-xc5000-1.6.114.fw
  xc5000: firmware read 12401 bytes.
  xc5000: firmware uploading...
  xc5000: firmware upload complete...

It looks like the HVR-950Q driver reloads the firmware at every possible
opportunity, independent of the hardware state, each time either the SD or
HD device is opened, such as when changing from an SD channel on /dev/video0
to an HD channel on /dev/dvb/adapter0.  Is this necessary?

Is it possible to tell the driver to ease up on the firmware reloads?  I
don't mind if the first attempt fails, but the second attempt should succeed
(without a reload).

Alternatively, are faster firmware loads possible?

Should I open a bug on this?

Hello Bob,

In order to avoid the firmware reloading condition, you need to add a
modprobe option called "no_poweroff=1" for the xc5000 driver to your
modprobe.conf file and then reboot your computer.  I agree that this
is a very annoying workaround, but have not had a chance to try to
find another solution (the i2c master in the au0828 hardware is poorly
designed and this same problem occurs in Windows but the problem is
not as noticeable because the Windows application doesn't as
aggressively power down the tuner).

For F11, I appended the line "options xc5000 no_poweroff=1" to
/etc/modprobe.d/local.conf

Rather than power down (shudder), I did the following:
1. Unplug HVR-950Q
2. rmmod xc5000
3. modprobe xc5000 no_poweroff=1
4. Plug in HVR-950Q

Also, in order for the video to be rendered properly, you need to make
sure your capture resolution for LiveTV mode and the various capture
modes is set to 720x480 (the default in MythTV is 480x480).  Without
this change, the picture will appear to be vertically stretched.  This
is actually a bug in MythTV not properly handling analog capture
products that do not have an onboard hardware scaler (I did work in
0.22 to get the analog support working but have not had an opportunity
to fix this bug yet).

Done.

If you still have trouble, feel free to reply to this message.

Cheers,

Devin

All is well with the world: The tuner is tuning, MythTV is mythic, and I am a
vidiot.

Thanks!