Lou Otway wrote, On 10/30/2009 10:40 AM:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find a way to be able to uniquely identify each device in
> a PC and was hoping to use either serial or MAC for this purpose.
>
> I've looked at the documentation but can't find a generic way to read
> back serial numbers or MAC addresses from V4L devices? Does such a
> function exist?

Hi Lou,

I'm using the mac address to identify each device and to do so I created
this script which use dvbnet to create network interface from the dvb card.

a=<your adapter>
n=<your net device>
for ex. /dev/dvb/adapter1/net0 => a=1, n=0

# get mac address
iface=$(sudo /usr/bin/dvbnet -a $a -n $n -p 0 | awk '/device/ {print $3}')
sleep 1
mac_address=$(/sbin/ifconfig $iface | awk '/HWaddr/ {print $5}' | tr -d
':' | tr A-Z a-z)
num=$(sudo /usr/bin/dvbnet -a $a -n $n -l | grep 'Found device ' | awk
'{print $3}' | tr -d ':')
sleep 1
sudo /usr/bin/dvbnet -a $a -n $n -d $num 1> /dev/null

AFAIK, mac address are known only from the kernel and are not directly
exposed to the userland. I you manage to do something "cleaner", let me
know :)

Regards

pierre gr.