On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Michael Obst
<m.o...@ugrad.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>    Thanks for fixing this, I can confirm that it now compiles and
> inserts and the remote works, so does the av input to the tvcard
> however the card does not seem to be able to tune any channels, I have
> checked the old driver and that is still able to tune in channels. The
> output from my dmesg is below.
>
> Thanks
> Michael Obst

Michael,

This is an interesting problem -- the part of your dmesg that stands
out to me is this:

> [  502.928544] tuner 0-0060: chip found @ 0xc0 (saa7130[0])
> [  502.960501] tda8290: no gate control were provided!

That error message was added as a safety measure -- it shouldn't be
possible to ever hit that code path.  Are you running any non-GPL
binary drivers on your system, such as NVIDIA or anything else?

Let me explain:

The "no gate control were provided!" message was added by Mauro to the
tda8290 driver, mainly as a check to ensure that we don't call a null
function pointer.  The gate control is actually provided by the
tda8290 driver itself, by either tda8290_i2c_bridge or
tda8295_i2c_bridge, depending on which hardware is present.  In your
case, it's a tda8290.

The function pointer is filled during the tda829x_attach() function,
before we call the tda829x_find_tuner function, where this error
message is displayed.  The only way for this to have occurred, as far
as I can tell,  is if the probe to detect the tda8290 itself had
failed.

Have you repeated your test with the same problem each time, or did
this only happen once?

Can you try again, from a cold reboot?

Also, I'm just assuming that this failure occurred during a digital
tune -- is that correct?  Does analog television work?

If the problem is reproducible, can you also show us dmesg during a failed tune?

I'm very interested in hearing more about this -- please let me know.

Regards,

Mike