Hi Hans,

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 06:23:38PM +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On 20/07/17 18:09, Sakari Ailus wrote:
> > Hi Hans,

> >> I don't think this is a good reason. If one of the subdevices fail, then
> >> your
> >> hardware is messed up and there is no point in continuing.
> >
> > That's entirely untrue in general case.
> >
> > If you have e.g. a mobile phone with a single camera, yes, you're right.
> > But most mobile phones have two cameras these days. Embedded systems may
> > have many, think of automotive use cases: you could have five or ten
> > cameras there.
>
> These are all very recent developments. Today userspace can safely assume
> that either everything would be up and running, or nothing at all.
>
> > It is not feasible to prevent the entire system from working if a single
> > component is at fault --- this is really any component such as a lens
> > controller.
>
> All I am saying is that there should be a way to indicate that you accept
> that parts are faulty, and that you (i.e. userspace) are able to detect
> and handle that.
>
> You can't just change the current behavior and expect existing applications
> to work. E.g. says a sensor failed. Today the application might detect that
> the video node didn't come up, so something is seriously wrong with the
> hardware
> and it shows a message on the display. If this would change and the video node
> *would* come up, even though there is no sensor the behavior of the
> application
> would almost certainly change unexpectedly.
>
> How to select which behavior you want isn't easy. The only thing I can come up
> with is a module option. Not very elegant, unfortunately. But it doesn't
> belong in the DT, and when userspace gets involved it is already too late.

Module options don't scale if you want to change kernel interface
behaviour. Adding a Kconfig option would. We can neither make this
application specific since the application isn't known by the time the
nodes are created.

Kconfig option (that defaults to no) with the events and media device
status info amended with documentation change would achieve the goal,
although it'd take a lot of time to adjust all the applications before the
Kconfig option can be safely removed. This approach does have the benefit
of being able to provide the feature to those systems that really depend on
it.

Sakari Ailus
e-mail: sakari.ai...@iki.fi     XMPP: sai...@retiisi.org.uk