Hi Mauro,

https://github.com/s-moch/linux-saa716x/blob/for-media/drivers/staging/media/saa716x/saa716x_ff_main.c

>I'm seeing that the main problem of this driver is that it still use
>the API from the legacy ttpci driver, e. g. DVB audio, video and osd APIs.
>
>Those APIs were deprecated because they duplicate a functionality
>provided by the V4L2 API, and are obscure, because they're not
>properly documented. Also, no other driver uses it upstream.
>
>So, it was agreed several years ago that new full featured drivers
>should use the V4L2 API for audio/video codecs.
>
>We have a some drivers that use V4L2 for MPEG audio/video decoding
>and encoding. The best examples are ivtv and cx18 (as both are for
>PCI devices). Currently, none of those drivers support the DVB
>API, though, as they're used only on analog TV devices.
>
>It was also agreed that setup pipelines on more complex DVB
>devices should use the media controller API (MC API).
>
>Yet, we don't have, currently, any full featured drivers upstream
>(except for the legacy one).
>
>So, if we're willing to apply this driver, you should be committed
>to do implement the media APIs properly, porting from DVB
>audio/video/osd to V4L2 and MC APIs.
>
>That should also reflect its TODO:

https://github.com/s-moch/linux-saa716x/blob/for-media/drivers/staging/media/saa716x/TODO

Thanks for your feedback. I understand all your concerns about the legacy
API and your request to convert this to v4l2. For me the whole story looks
a little bit different, though.

The only application which makes use of the decoder part of this saa716x_ff
driver is VDR (Video Disk Recorder by Klaus Schmidinger, [1] [2]) - if
anybody else knows about a different use-case, please speak up!
In fact the high-definition version of VDR (vdr-2.x) was co-developed with
the S2-6400 hardware and this saa716x_ff driver. So it is no surprise, that
this driver utilizes the - now legacy - DVB API of the ttpci cards, since
VDR was originally developed with this API in mind. The missing API
documentation, besides of course not being ideal, is therefore no real
problem here, since driver and application are closely tied together.

The S2-6400 card (the only hardware which saa716x_ff supports) only has
two simple hardware interfaces for the decoder part, a transport stream
interface for the video/audio decoder, and a DVB API command interface
for osd. There is no real separate DVB audio interface, audio TS packets
are simply multiplexed into the video TS stream.

Because there are no complicated hardware interfaces or, e.g., configurable
processing pipelines, I think a media controller driver is not applicable
for this hardware, but a v4l2 API would be possible for the video part. For
the osd part instead I'm not really sure how to convert this. The DVB osd
API contains several commands for window and palette management,
pixel/line/block drawing, and even text rendering. Typical plane/framebuffer
based overlay APIs are a very bad match for this command-based hardware
interface. And a full-blown GPU driver only for menu overlays would be quite
a big effort, especially as we do not need a standard command-to-image
processing, but a gpu-command to dvb-osd-command conversion. Even now with
the osd API command processing implemented in the S2-6400 hardware, the
overlay is relatively slow, this could only become worse with an additional
translation layer. But let's assume that is all solvable technically.

The real problem is not my commitment to convert the DVB video/osd API to
v4l2. I would do it, although this means huge additional effort. My real
concern about your request is, with converted DVB APIs in this saa716x_ff
driver, VDR would not be able to use this driver. So the only known use-case
would not work anymore, so the whole effort to mainline this driver would
not make sense for me.

I agree that new drivers should use modern APIs in the general case. But
for this driver the legacy DVB decoder API is a hard requirement for me,
as described. So I hope you will dispense with the v4l2 conversion for
this special case. I'm pretty sure that there will be no new hardware
and therefore no new driver with this legacy API, this saa716x_ff driver
also has a 7-year development history, in this sense it is not really new
and one could also think of it as some sort of legacy code.

If it helps, I can offer to also take maintainership for the saa7146/ttpci
drivers, I still have such card in productive use. This way I could at
least maintain the DVB decoder API code together, as we cannot get rid
of it.

If you got any better idea how to solve this "legacy issue" in a different
way, I'm glad to help.

Regards,
Soeren

[1] www.tvdr.de