Hi Philipp,

On Monday 24 Jul 2017 07:52:22 Philipp Zabel wrote:
> Am Montag, den 17.07.2017, 05:25 +0300 schrieb Laurent Pinchart:

> >> Yes. Without this patch I get a bunch of controls that have no
> >> effect whatsoever.

> >> Well, it's all still a bit in the experimentation phase. We have an
> >> implementation to set up the DK2 camera for synchronised exposure
> >> triggered by the Rift DK2 HMD and to read the calibration data from
> >> flash, here:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/pH5/ouvrt/blob/master/src/esp570.c
> >> https://github.com/pH5/ouvrt/blob/master/src/mt9v034.c
> >>
> >> And an even more rough version to set up the CV1 camera for
> >> synchronised exposure triggered by the Rift CV1 HMD here:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/OpenHMD/OpenHMD-RiftPlayground/blob/master/src/m
> >> ain.c
> >>
> >> The latter is using libusb, as it needs the variable length SPI
> >> data control.
> >>
> >> Do you think adding a pseudo i2c driver for the eSP570/eSP770u
> >> webcam controllers and then exposing the sensor chips as V4L2 subdevices
> >> could be a good idea? We already have a sensor driver for the MT9V034 in
> >> the DK2 USB camera.
> >
> > Yes, I think a device-specific driver would make sense, especially if
> > we can implement support for the sensor as a standalone V4L2 subdev
> > driver. The device only fakes UVC compatibility :-(
>
> When you say standalone driver, do you mean I can reuse uvcvideo
> device/stream/chain handling, and just replace the control handling?

No, I mean a completely separate driver. Given that the driver will be used
for a single device, you can hardcode lots of assumptions and don't have to
parse UVC descriptors.

> I'll try this, but it isn't a straightforward as I initially thought.
> For example, the mt9v032 subdev driver expects to have control over
> power during probe and s_power. But in this case power is controlled by
> UVC streaming.

How does that work with the device ? If the sensor is powered off until you
start video streaming, I assume it won't reply to I2C commands. Do you need to
configure it after stream start ?

> I'd either have to modify the subdev driver to support a passive mode or
> fake the chip id register reads in the i2c adapter driver to make mt9v032
> probe at all.
>
> Do you have any further comments on the first two patches?

Just that those patches are not needed if we implement a driver specific to
the Oculus Rift :-)

Laurent Pinchart