On 08/23/17 14:29, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Wednesday, 23 August 2017 12:09:15 EEST Hans Verkuil wrote:

>>> I don't think the current implementation is wrong, it's just different
>>> from other drivers; there's really no requirement regarding this AFAIU.
>>> It's one of the things where no attention has been paid I presume.
>>
>> It actually is a requirement: when a device node appears applications can
>> reasonably expect to have a fully functioning device. True for any device
>> node.
>
> Why not ? I'm not aware of any such kernel-wide requirement.
>
>> You don't want to have to wait until some unspecified time before the full
>> functionality is there.
>
> We certainly should specify that time and give userspace a way to find out
> what is usable and when.
>
>> I try to pay attention to this when reviewing code, since not following this
>> rule basically introduces a race condition which is hard to test.
>>
>>> However doing anything that can fail earlier on would be nicer since
>>> there's no reasonable way to signal an error from complete callback
>>> either.
>>
>> Right.
>>
>> Adding support for cases where devices may not be present is very desirable,
>> but this should go through an RFC process first to hammer out all the
>> details.
>>
>> Today we do not support this and we have to review code with that in mind.
>>
>> So the first async subnotifiers implementation should NOT support this
>> (although it can of course be designed with this in mind).
>
> I very much disagree. The first async subnotifiers implementation (and I
> still
> believe we don't need subnotifiers, there's nothing "sub" in them) shall
> support this. If it means we first have to hammer out the details of out it
> will work, so be it.

I see no reason to block the highly desirable async (sub)notifier code
while waiting for us to hammer out the details of something that is for the
most part unrelated to this. That usually takes a lot of time and since
the async (sub)notifier code is an internal API that can be changed later
you really don't want it to be stuck in limbo for all that time.

There are already a few drivers pending on this and, as you said yourself,
it is very unpleasant for driver authors to have their work stuck in the
queue for a long time.

Ditto for postponing work on this until the life-time issues have been
solved. If Niklas can do this work while you and Sakari work on the life-time
issues, then I see nothing wrong with that.

For APIs internal to the kernel you can make gradual improvements. As long
as each change makes things a bit better I happily accept it. Waiting until
everything is perfect and beautiful means nothing ever gets accepted since
it'll never be perfect as there is always something that can be done better...

It's what makes uAPI additions so hard, because you have to try and make it
as close to perfect as you can, and we never quite succeed there either.