On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 10:56:26 -0300
Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mche...@s-opensource.com> wrote:

> It should have something to do with python version and/or to some
> locale info at the system, as neither I or Jon can reproduce it.

I can't reproduce it here, but I have certainly seen situations where
Python 2 wants to run with the ascii codec by default.

Note that the exception happens in our Sphinx extension, not in Sphinx
itself.  We've had other non-ascii text in our docs, so I think Sphinx is
doing the right thing.  The problem is with our own code.  If I could
reproduce it, it shouldn't be too hard to track down - take out that
massive "except anything" block and see where it explodes.

Randy, which distribution are you running, and are you using their version
of Sphinx?

Thanks,

jon