Hi guys,

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 03:02:53PM -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Mon, 26 Sep 2016 19:41:39 +0200
> Gregor Jasny <gja...@googlemail.com> escreveu:
>
> > On 19/09/2016 16:21, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> > > Instead of adding STATIC_LDFLAGS to all LDFLAGS, wouldn't be better to
> > > add the flags to LDFLAGS on configure.ac?
> >
> > I don't really like adding all those build variants into the configure
> > script itself. It is already way too complex and adding another
> > dimension does not make it better.
> >
> > Why is passing --disable-shared --enable-static LDLAGS="--static
> > -static" to configure not sufficient?
>
> That sounds better than adding an extra STATIC_LDFLAGS option, but,
> IMHO, this sounds confusing, and it is not documented.
>
> The advantage of having an option is that the expected behavior
> can be documented in a way that the user will know what each option
> would be doing by calling ./configure --help. Yet, IMHO, the above
> parameters don't make clear about what type of output for executable
> files (static, dynamic, "partially" dynamic).
>
> We could (should?) also print, at the ./configure "summary" what
> kind of libraries will be generated and what kind of executables.

It's an old thread... anyway, the INSTALL file is another option to put
this. I'd just like that it'd be easy for people to find this information
rather than require them to figure it out somehow. Not everyone is an expert
in autoconf / automake --- certainly not me at least.

Another advantage of documenting this is that it tends to get tested more
widely and if it doesn't work, it's obvious that it's broken rather than
v4l-utils is being built the wrong way.

So, configure help text or INSTALL?

Sakari Ailus
e-mail: sakari.ai...@iki.fi