On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 5:29 PM,  <valenzu...@iol.pt> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to transmit/stream a channel from skystar (on a Ubuntu Linux
> server) to a TV through ATI X300 SE (128MB) graphic card (s-video
> interface).
>
> It is possible to do transmit the channel without a gui (gnome, for
> instance) in the server? What I really want is to redirect the output from
> skystar to graphic card (connected to a TV through s-video or VGA).

I do that using VDR.  I use dvb cards in a Debian linux box.  Then I
run VDR (http://www.tvdr.de) with the vdr-xine plugin, and have my
output going to an Nvidia video card.  I use a DVI->HDMI cable going
from the video card to a 60" tv.  I've also connected my mainboard
SPDIF-OUT to the video card SPDIF-IN so both audio and video are
transmitted on the DVI-HDMI cable.  The reason for using the Nvidia
video card was mainly to take advantage of vdpau which offloads the
mpeg 2/4 decoding to the gpu instead of cpu (ie: allowing you to do
HDTV on a slow/low power cpu).