On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, Sean wrote:

> Alan Stern wrote:
> > Um, when you say it does the job, what do you mean?
> It traps the error and prevents the kernel from crashing.

As did some of the earlier patches, right?

> > The job it was _intended_ to do was to prove that your problems are
> > caused by hardware errors rather than software bugs.  If the patch
> > causes the problems to stop, without printing any error messages in the
> > log, then it does indeed prove this.  After all, the only places the
> > patch changes any persistent values are after it prints an error
> > message.
> >
> It did print out error messages:

> .ohci_hcd 0000:00:0b.0: Circular hash: 36 c669f900 c677b900
> c677b900
> ...ohci_hcd 0000:00:0b.0: Circular hash: 36 c669f900 c677b900
> c677b900
> .ohci_hcd 0000:00:0b.0: Circular hash: 32 c669f800 c677b800
> c677b800

Ooh, that's odd.  The "Circular hash" message occurs in the same spot
as the "Circular pointer #2a" message in the previous patch -- and that
message never got printed!

> > I noticed that your CPU is a Cyrix.  Perhaps it is the culprit.  Have
> > you tried running the program on a different computer?
> >
> Yes, on other computers I don't get this error. Same os image. Though I
> haven't found a computer with an ohci controller yet.

So that's not a real test, unfortunately.

Still, at this point I'm not sure it's worthwhile to pursue this any
farther.  I'm convinced it's a hardware problem.  Do you want to
continue, or are you happy to switch computers and forget about it?

Alan Stern