Andy Walls wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 01:29 -0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>> Andy Walls wrote:

>>> Assuming 53.333 kbps download speed, 0% overhead, no compression:
>>>
>>> 365 MiB * 2^20 bytes/MiB * 8 bits/byte / 53333 bits/sec / 3600 sec/hr =
>>> 15.95 hours
>> It is an one time download, since, once you got it, the updates are cheap.
>>
>> Btw, it is a way small than a single CD needed for you to install Linux.
>>
>> If you want to get it and you're not willing to pay to a decent Internet
>> connection,
>
> If only I could pay for a *decent* one.
>
> If I just want bandwidth at a poor level of service, poor reliability
> and high cost, then I'll pay for the local cable TV internet service.
>
> I'm in one of the white areas on the map on page 33 of:
>
> http://www.tccsmd.org/downloads/Broadband%20Final%20Report.pdf
>
> I don't really have options for getting a good value for my dollar on
> broadband internet.
>
> (The residential broadband deployment in the US is just terrible IMO.)

Rural areas are more problematic. Here, in Brazil, we have a good coverage at
low and fixed cost via cellular (about US$40,00/mo for 1Mb bandwidth). Yet, on
rural areas, there's no 3G support, so it drops to EDGE or 2G speed. I have
one of this, plus a xDSL link.

>> just ask someone to get it for you and save on a CD.
>
> Nah.  Next time I head to the library, I'll just bring a laptop along:
> free WiFi.

Yeah, this should work. After you've pulled the tree, the updates are not that
bad.