On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 2:37 PM Hans Verkuil <hverk...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 6/11/19 10:13 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > On 6/9/19 4:38 PM, Maxime Jourdan wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> This RFC proposes a new format flag - V4L2_FMT_FLAG_DYN_RESOLUTION - used
> >> to tag coded formats for which the device supports dynamic resolution
> >> switching, via V4L2_EVENT_SOURCE_CHANGE.
> >> This includes the initial "source change" where the device is able to
> >> tell userspace about the coded resolution and the DPB size (which
> >> sometimes translates to V4L2_CID_MIN_BUFFERS_FOR_CAPTURE).
> >
> > Shouldn't the initial source change still be there? The amlogic decoder
> > is capable of determining the resolution of the stream, right? It just
> > can't handle mid-stream changes.
>
> I've been thinking about this a bit more: there are three different HW
> capabilities:
>
> 1) The hardware cannot parse the resolution at all and userspace has to tell
> it
> via S_FMT.
>
> 2) The hardware can parse the initial resolution, but is not able to handle
> mid-stream resolution changes.
>
> 3) The hardware can parse the initial resolution and all following mid-stream
> resolution changes.
>
> We can consider 2 the default situation.
>
> In case of 1 the SOURCE_CHANGE event is absent and userspace cannot subscribe
> to it. Question: do we want to flag this with the format as well? I.e. with a
> V4L2_FMT_FLAG_MANUAL_RESOLUTION? I think just not implementing the
> SOURCE_CHANGE
> event (and documenting this) is sufficient.

I think that not implementing SOURCE_CHANGE is sufficient as well. The
issue (in my case), is that the amlogic decoder _does_ support the
event (case 3) for anything recent (H264, HEVC, VP9), but not for e.g
MPEG 1/2 (case 1).

A possible solution would be to create 2 separate devices, one
implementing the event, the other not. Do you think this is reasonable
? This would discard the need for all the proposed flags, unless there
are other decoder drivers that fall in case 2.