On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 7:33 AM Philipp Zabel <p.za...@pengutronix.de> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> On Fri, 2019-09-13 at 09:00 -0700, Tim Harvey wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > What would need to be done to support JPEG enc/dec for coda9?
>
> here is a WIP that still needs some cleanup for upstreaming:
>
>   https://git.pengutronix.de/cgit/pza/linux/log/?h=coda/jpeg
>
> Basically I'd like to avoid adding yet another JPEG header parser to the
> kernel, as we already have at least three:
>   drivers/media/platform/rcar_jpu.c
>   drivers/media/platform/mtk-jpeg/mtk_jpeg_parse.c
>   drivers/media/platform/s5p-jpeg/jpeg-core.c
>
> I want to allow probing without the BIT processor firmware for blobless
> JPEG-only support, and I'd like the JPEG codec to be able to run
> concurrently with the BIT processor codec.
>
> I'm working on this this week.

Philipp,

Thanks for this! I'll keep an eye out for your submission and provide testing.

I have pulled your branch and boot-tested it. I see the 2 new video
devices but noticed that the JPEG decoder shows up as an element for
video4linux2 the JPEG encoder doesn't show up (gstreamer v1.14.5) -
any idea why that would be?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim