On Friday 12 February 2010 15:50:08 Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> During the Linux Plumbers Conference in September 2009 I organized a V4L-DVB
> mini-summit. The focus of that summit was on discussing a framework through
> which we could support all the functionality that the video hardware of modern
> embedded devices provides.
>
> It was a very successful summit and a lot of work has been done since that
> time. See this posting for to get an idea of what was discussed for those
> who were not present:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg10136.html
>
> Since that time we have added a new API to support HDTV formats, a new
> event API is almost ready, a lot of work is being done on the media
> controller API with omap3 as guinea pig and Samsung has done work on the
> memory handling of V4L2.
>
> From April 12th to 14th the CELF Embedded Linux Conference is held in
> San Francisco, and it is co-located with the Linux Foundation Collaboration
> Summit (April 14th-16th). Links to these conferences are here:
>
> http://www.embeddedlinuxconference.com/elc_2010/index.html
> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/collaboration-summit
>
> I will be doing a presentation on the new framework during the ELC.
>
> Since this conference is about 6 months after the mini-summit I consider this
> a good time to organize a new V4L2 Media Controller mini-summit to discuss
> progress and future work in this area. I think that particular attention
> should be given to how we are going to do memory handling. The proposals
> from Samsung have received very little attention and we should discuss those
> in more detail.
>
> I do not know on which dates exactly such a summit can take place. There
> are three possibilities:
>
> April 10-11/12
> April 12-14
> April 14/15-16
>
> I think that registering for the ELC gives to free access to the Collaboration
> Summit, but I'm waiting for a confirmation on that.
>
> I'm not keen on the center option (12-14 April) since that often means that
> you don't see a lot of the conference itself. And the ELC is generally quite
> interesting.
>
> There is another alternative and that is that I organize a mini-summit in May
> in Lysaker (near Oslo, Norway) at the Tandberg offices. But frankly I think
> that it is more fun to do this during/before/after a conference. If only
> because there are a lot of linux kernel experts on hand during such a
> conference that you can ask for help if needed.
>
> Please let me know asap if you are interested in attending such a mini-summit
> and what dates are possible for you:
>
> a: April 10-11 (or 12)
> b: April 12-14
> c: April 14 (or 15)-16
> d: Somewhere in May (suggestions for dates are welcome)

I would appreciate it if people/companies who are interested in attending would
let me know as soon as possible. Options A and B are a no go, so it is either
April 14-16, or it will be in May. It doesn't have to be definitive, but I
would like to have an idea of what to expect.

The V4L2 API work that is in progress is crucially important for embedded
hardware,
so getting involved now will ensure that your devices will work fine on linux in
the future. And we get to see more of the complex use cases that we must cater
in the API.