Manu Abraham wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Hans de Goede <hdego...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> I would call it media-utils. A nice name and it reflects that it contains
>>> both dvb and v4l utilities.
>>>
>> Well, the judge is still out on also adding the dvb utils to this git repo.
>> I'm neutral on that issue, but I will need a co-maintainer for those bits
>> if they end up in the new v4l-utils repo too.
>>
>> About the name, if the dvb utils get added and we want to reflect that, lets
>> call it v4l-dvb-utils. media-utils is not a very descriptive name for
>> v4l-dvb
>> project outsiders.
>

> What's the advantage in merging the dvb and v4l2 utils, other than to
> make the download/clone bigger ?

There aren't any big advantages on merging, nor there are big advantages on
keeping
them alone.

Advantages to merge:
        - One single release control. Currently, only Hans de Goede is doing a
good job with release names, on libv4l. By having everything into one place,
all other
v4l2-apps and dvb-apps will have a release name, making easier even for us when
helping
people with troubles (as we'll know for sure if they're using the latest
version or
a very old version;
        - One single tree for the user to download, for IR, DVB and V4L apps;
        - Distro packagers will have one single tarball to maintain.

Disadvantages:
        - More people will need access to the same git master tree;
        - The tree will be bigger.

--

Cheers,
Mauro