On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 10:33 -0500, Andy Walls wrote:

> > Let me rephrase my question: how would you design the user color controls?
>
> > E.g., the controls that are exported in GUIs to the average user.
>
> Look at the knobs on an old TV or look at the menu on more modern
> televisions:
>
> 1. Hue (or Tint) (at least NTSC TVs have this control)
> 2. Brightness
> 3. Saturation
>
> These are the three parameters to which the Human Visual System
> sensitive.

These are the video controls exposed on the standard user menu of my
Sony KDP-51WS655 TV:

Name
TV's Help comment
Control type
My comments

Picture
Picture white level
Slider: 0 to Max
(No comment)

Brightness
Picture black level
Slider: 0 to Max
(No comment)

Color
Color saturation
Slider: 0 to Max
"UV Saturation"

Hue
Green/Red Tones
Slider: R 31 to 0 to G 31
Called "Tint" on older NTSC TV's, it doesn't give complete control over hue

Sharpness
Picture detail
Slider: 0 to Max
"Contrast"

Color Temp
Color Temperature
Enumerated options:
        Cool
        Bluish-white
        like a "daylight" light bulb

        Neutral
        Neutral
        (No comment)

        Warm
        Reddish-White (NTSC standard)
        like a "soft white" light bulb
Dominant color of light in the image. "Temperature" corresponds to the mean
color of light from a blackbody radiator at such a temperature IIRC

ClearEdge VM
Edge enhancement
Enumerated options: High, Medium, Low, Off
(No comment)

Advanced Video controls available via the normal user menu:

Color Axis
Adjust red color axis
Enumerated values:
        Emphasize red colors
        (No comment)

        Monitor
        De-emphasize red colors
        (No comment)
I have no idea what this control is good for.

Noise Reduction
Reduces repetative random noise
Boolean: on/off
I suspect this may be Luma and Chroma coring.  I'm not sure.

The Service mode menu is available via pushing buttons on the remote:
DISPLAY, 5, VOL +, POWER ON

The service control and status options are cryptic and numerous.  I
suppose setting these wrong and saving would be akin to writing the
wrong values in the I2C EEPROM on one's video card.  (I will note the QM
INFO menu has a fascinating amount of status available.)

Regards,
Andy