On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 10:58 +0100, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > Hello Laurent,
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:57 AM, Laurent Pinchart
> > <laurent.pinch...@ideasonboard.com> wrote:
> >> I don't think it should matter which API (the base one or the extended
> >> one)
> >> you use for controls, be they private, standard or whatever. I don't see
> >> reason for disallowing some controls to be used through one or the other
> >> API.
> >
> > I would generally agree.  My original belief was that the extended
> > control API was designed to be a superset of the older API and that it
> > could be used for both types of controls.  Imagine my surprise to find
> > that private controls were specifically excluded from the extended
> > control interface.
>
> New private controls should not use V4L2_CID_PRIVATE_BASE at all. That
> mechanism was a really bad idea. Instead a new control should be added to
> the appropriate control class and with a offset >= 0x1000. See for example
> the CX2341X private controls in videodev2.h.

I recall doing something like this a while ago:

#define CX18_AV_CID_USER_PRIV_BASE      (V4L2_CTRL_CLASS_USER | 0x1000)
#define CX18_AV_CID_EXTRA_12DB_GAIN     (CX18_AV_CID_USER_PRIV_BASE+0)

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/v4l-dvb-ctls/file/e4b2c5d550b5/linux/drivers/media/video/cx18/cx18-av-core.h#l77

(I'm not sure if it's a good example though.)

I'm still just waiting for an approved method for implementing such
video decoder controls.  I don't care how, just that there is a way.

I don't have much in the way of plans to offer, because I really don't
grok all the existing issues with controls.

Regards,
Andy