On 3/4/10 1:03 PM, Per Lundberg wrote:
Hi Hermann,

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 11:05 AM, hermann pitton<hermann-pit...@arcor.de>  wrote:

Has anyone done any attempt at contacting TBS to see if they can release their
changes under the GPLv2? Ideally, they would provide a patch themselves, but it
should be fairly simple to diff the linux/ trees from their provided
linux-s2api-tbs6980.tar.bz2 file with the stock Linux 2.6.32 code... in fact, it
could be that their patch is so trivial that we could just include it in the
stock Linux kernel without asking them for license clarifications... but
obviously, if we can get a green sign from them, it would be even better.

It is always the other way round.

In the end they need a green sign from us.

Well... I guess we are both right. :-) They need to assert ownership
and license the code under the GPL, and we need to ensure that the
quality of the code is high enough (driver is working and does not
interfer with other parts of the code base...).

We I asked TBS' support about this question they told me they would like to get it out under GPL as it has been done with other cards they sell but that right now it was not possible due to legal contraints related to some of the code in use by some of the chips on the board. No further details were provided.

BTW, the TBS dual seems to be fine on m$, but there are some mysterious
lockups without any trace, if used in conjunction with some prior
S2/HDTV cards. I can't tell yet, if that it is evenly distributed over
amd/ati and nvidia stuff or whatever on win7 ... , but people do spend
lifetime in vain on it.

This is pretty interesting, do you have any references? (forum links
or similar)
In my particular case, I was thinking about using it as the "only" S2
card in the machine, later possibly adding a DVB-C card if/when we get
cable... so, it might not be a problem for me, but it still doesn't
feel really good. I guess the card is pretty new, so maybe (hopefully)
it will get fixed by a new firmware release.

Do we have any readers of this list who own the card and use it in
Linux (with the drivers from TBS)? Could you please share your
experiences: is the picture quality good? Sound? Does the tuner work
well? (e.g. can you receive all channels you normally receive...)

Yes I use the card. Have had it for a couple of months now running in a server that acts as a video head-end in my test network. I only tune to specific transponders when I boot the server so I can't really comment on tuning time and related issues. Yes I've used it for S and S2 feeds and so far it fits my requirements.

HTH,
Thomas