>>> Yes, that's the assumption. As, in general, there are more than one
>>> videobuffer,
>>> and assuming that one buffer physical address is close to the other, if
>>> the data
>>> got miss-aligned at the DMA, it is likely that the magic number of the
>>> next buffer
>>> will be overwritten if something got bad. The real situation will depend
>>> on how
>>> fragmented is the memory.
>>
>> For the record: we are talking about the magic fields as found in
>> include/media/videobuf*.h. None of the magic field there are actually in
>> the video buffers. They are in administrative structures or in ops structs
>> which are unlikely to be close in memory to the actual buffers.
>
>Well, Pawel's email didn't mentioned that he is referring just to one type
>of magic check.

Thanks for the explanation. Although I don't really understand how any of
the magic numbers would help with DMA corruption, short of DMA operations
overwriting random memory areas (or just huge amounts of memory). If I
understood
correctly, even the magics in dma-sg code are in structs videobuf_dmabuf and
videobuf_dma_sg_memory. Do dma operations touch those structures directly?

Best regards
--
Pawel Osciak
Linux Platform Group