Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> Ok, here's take two of the PULL request issued yesterday.  It's
> basically the same as yesterday, but except instead of moving the
> unused code to separate files where it might actually be useful to
> someone else in the future, I delete it entirely because Mauro's
> scripts mangle the patches when pulling them into git (therefore the
> resulting git patches appear to have zero actual content).
>
> http://kernellabs.com/hg/~dheitmueller/ngene2-bullshit
>
> When a developer has to waste several hours rebasing four development
> trees and reworking a large patch series just to address a couple of
> patches that "don't quite look right", it's amazing we get anything
> done.  People wonder why their tuners don't get support added sooner?
> THIS IS WHY.
>
> What a colossal waste of my time when I could have been actually
> working on drivers instead...

As I've explained to you, your patch series were creating and adding into
the kernel building system two files like this one:

/*
 * ngene-av.c: nGene PCIe bridge driver - DVB video/audio support
 *
 * Copyright (C) 2005-2007 Micronas
 *
 * Copyright (C) 2008-2009 Ralph Metzler <r...@metzlerbros.de>
 *                         Modifications for new nGene firmware,
 *                         support for EEPROM-copying,
 *                         support for new dual DVB-S2 card prototype
 *
 *
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
 * version 2 only, as published by the Free Software Foundation.
 *
 *
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
 *
 *
 * along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
 * Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
 * 02110-1301, USA
 * Or, point your browser to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
 */

/* This file provides the support functions for DVB audio/video devices
   (/dev/dvb/adapter0/[video|audio]), not to be confused with V4L2 support */

#include <linux/module.h>
#include <linux/init.h>
#include <linux/delay.h>
#include <linux/slab.h>
#include <linux/poll.h>
#include <linux/io.h>
#include <asm/div64.h>
#include <linux/pci.h>
#include <linux/smp_lock.h>
#include <linux/timer.h>
#include <linux/version.h>
#include <linux/byteorder/generic.h>
#include <linux/firmware.h>
#include <linux/vmalloc.h>

#include "ngene.h"

#if 0
        /* some unused code */
#endif

Moving a do-nothing commented code into another file and adding those
/dev/null files into the building system makes no sense at all. It really
doesn't matter if it is just an empty file, or a file with a big #if 0/#endif
block.

The point is that it will add a penalty into the building system and create a
new file
without any reason.

--

Cheers,