hermann pitton wrote:
> [...]
>> re-designed, due to some troubles, plus all architectural discussions we're
>> having
>> about videobuf, events interface, mem2mem, etc.
>>
>> I suspect that part of growth on the number of patches is due to the usage
>> of git, as
>> I'm seeing more upstream kernel hackers sending patches to drivers/media
>> lately.
>>
>> So, Douglas assumed the maintainership of the hg tree. As all upstream
>> patches
>> need to be backported, he's likely having a high demand bandwidth, because
>> of the high
>> number of patches.
>>
>> As far as I know (Douglas, please correct me if I'm wrong), he started by
>> applying patches, testing against a selected number of legacy kernels and
>> publish
>> after the tests. Also, he needs to identify the origin of a patch before
>> applying
>> on his tree, to avoid breaking developers tree based on mercurial to require
>> rebasing
>> after his merge. Life would probably be easier for him if everybody would be
>> generating
>> patches against git when submitting upstream.
>>
>> As people complained about the high delay, he decided just a few days ago
>> to just sync the tree, and then adding backport patches with the help of the
>> community. Of course, this means that the current -hg tree will compile only
>> against 2.6.33, until someone backports the tree to the earlier kernels.
>>
>> I suspect that people will also complain about that. Not sure what strategy
>> would
>> be the better.
>>
>> The fact is that, even with -hg, when we were close to the next merge
>> window, the
>> number of patches tend to increase (as everybody tries to send their code
>> for the
>> next merge window), and the need for backport increases, as other
>> maintainers are
>> always improving the kernel ABI's. So, during a period of up to 4 weeks (one
>> or
>> two weeks before and the two weeks of the merge window), it would almost
>> certain
>> that backport support would be broken.
>>
>> Anyway, it is up to Douglas to define what would be the better way to
>> maintain the
>> backport tree, as he is the one that is feeling all the pain of backporting
>> stuff, of course listening to the community feedback. It would be nice if
>> people could also help him by sending backport patches were needed.
>>

> Hi Mauro, Sander, Douglas,
>
> I can see all that.
>
> But the question was very simple.
>
> What revision of v4l-dvb I should have suggested to Sander on the day of
> his request to work further on it?
>
> I don't know, without very detailed input and a lot of looking up and
> broken build as next condition. So I do suggest to go to .rc and latest

The most updated version is at git:
        http://git.linuxtv.org/v4l-dvb.git

On most cases, running the latest -hg is equivalent, but, when some major
changes happen (that's the case of the new Remote Controller subsystem),
the sync delay may be higher.

> If this is within Sander's plans, not only Devin did list some
> shortcomings already for being on latest, I doubt. And a well maintained
> 2.6.18 seems to have still many fans :)
>
> I also can see, on a first look, that Sander is not in sync with
> Michael's latest.

With a distributed development, sometimes temporary development trees
may contain some newer patches that are not ready for merge yet. For the
model to work, the rule "commit early, commit often" should be followed:
people shouldn't be sitting on their patches for a long time.

> More patches still come in from older stuff. (Compro T750/T750F, we run
> into detection troubles again)

I'm not seeing any unusual number of conflicts when merging patches at -git
from Patchwork (e. g. the patches submitted to the mailing list).

So, or people are already using git when submitting patches, or hg and git are
close enough for the vast majority of people that submit us patches. I suspect
that both are true.

> Until Douglas should complain, I'll stay quiet, but I guess it will turn
> into some "stable" mercurial v4l-dvb release every few weeks and I doubt
> to be interested to dig around in such and compare.

Well, if the mercurial tree delay doesn't work for you, just use git. As I said
before, the primary development Kernel resource should be git.

My view is that the backport tree is very useful to have a broader number
of people testing V4L/DVB code, as it can be applied against legacy kernels.
Of course, for this to work, people should quickly fix broken backports
(that means that not only Douglas should work on it, but other developers
are welcomed to contribute with backport fixes).

--

Cheers,
Mauro