On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Jarod Wilson <ja...@wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
> <mche...@redhat.com> wrote:

>>> For the daily use case where a known-good keymap is in place, I'm
>>> coming to the conclusion that there's no point, we're only wasting
>>> resources. For initial "figure out what this remote is" type of stuff,
>>> running all decoders makes sense. One thought I had was that perhaps
>>> we start by running through the decoder that is listed in the keymap.
>>> If it decodes to a scancode and we find a valid key in the key table
>>> (i.e., not KEY_RESERVED), we're done. If decoding fails or we don't
>>> find a valid key, then try the other decoders. However, this is
>>> possibly also wasteful -- most people with any somewhat involved htpc
>>> setup are going to be constantly sending IR signals intended for other
>>> devices that we pick up and try to decode.
>>>
>>> So I'd say we go with your option b, and only call the decoder that
>>> matches the loaded keymap. One could either pass in a modparam or
>>> twiddle a sysfs attr or use ir-keytable to put the receiver into a
>>> mode that called all decoders -- i.e., set protocol to
>>> IR_TYPE_UNKNOWN, with the intention being to figure it out based on
>>> running all decoders, and create a new keymap where IR_TYPE_FOO is
>>> known.
>>
>> There's no need to extra parameters. Decoders can be disabled by userspace,
>> per each rc sysfs node. Btw, the current version of ir-keytable already sets
>> the enabled protocols based on the protocol reported by the rc keymap.
>>
>> What it makes sense is to add a patch at RC core that will properly
>> enable/disable
>> the protocols based on IR_TYPE, when the rc-map is stored in-kernel.
>
> Ah, yeah, that does make sense. And if we add that, ir-keytable
> doesn't actually have to worry about doing similar itself any longer.
> If you're not already working on it, I can try to whip something up,
> though I'm knee-deep in an ir-lirc-codec bridge right now...

I've now got an ir-lirc-codec bridge passing data over to a completely
unmodified lirc_dev, with the data then making its way out to the
lircd userspace where its even getting properly decoded. I don't have
the transmit side of things in ir-lirc-codec wired up just yet, but
I'd like to submit what I've got (after some cleanup) tomorrow, and
will then incrementally work on transmit. I'm pretty sure wiring up
transmit is going to require some of the bits we'd be using for native
transmit as well, so there may be some discussion required. Will give
a look at setting enabled/disabled decoders tomorrow too, hopefully.

--
Jarod Wilson
ja...@wilsonet.com