> KWORLD DVD Maker USB 2.0 (VS-USB2800)

Minor correction, for people who might be searching on the exact model number:

KWORLD DVD Maker USB 2.0 (VS-USB2800D)

It seemed likely to be supported by the em28xx driver, and I'm pleased to
report that, in fact, it is!

Yup, it's supported.

Ok, I just wanted to submit a detailed report because I didn't see my exact hardware in any of (what I suppose are) the official lists:

http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/video4linux/CARDLIST.em28xx

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Em28xx_devices#Validated_boards

It's also kinda nice to see that my previous email is already in the top ten google results for *linux kworld dvd maker*.

No firmware is involved at all for this device.  The Merlin ROM you
are seeing is for other devices that use the same underlying driver.

Ah, that makes sense.

If your device actually has a physical button on it then yes it will
work.  The driver will generate a "KEY_CAMERA" input event via
inputdev (similar to a keyboard event).  Read up on inputdev to see
how to write a userland application which can see it.

Thanks for those pointers.

Now, regarding the difference in image quality between the Linux and Windows drivers, I took some snapshots. Linux is first, then Windows:

http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/3762966/img/3762966.png

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/3762977/img/3762977.png

I would have thought that the digitized video coming from the card would be essentially the same in both cases, but the vertical stripes and the difference in width don't seem to be merely a matter of postprocessing. Does the driver have a greater level of control than I suspected over the digitization process in the card? (The difference in sharpness, on the other hand, I would guess to be postprocessing.)

So I'm mainly wondering whether the vertical stripes can be eliminated by controlling the card differently, or if we have no control over that and have to deal with it by postprocessing.

Ivan