2010/7/21 Guennadi Liakhovetski <g.liakhovet...@gmx.de>:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, Jun Nie wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>     I am working on CCIC camera controller driver and want to push it
>> into kernel. This CCIC IP is similar with IP of cafe_ccic, but with
>> lots of change: no I2C bus, embedded in SOC/no PCI, support both
>> parallel and CSI interface. So some register definition changes.
>>     I just want to confirm that a new driver for SOC CCIC is
>> acceptable for community.
>>     Thanks!
>
> Well, if there is a well defined common "core" of the both
> implementations, e.g., common register set (or at least most of them),
> then, I think, it would make sense to split the current cafe_ccic, extract
> that core and reuse it... It is always an interesting decision, whether
> two devices are similar enough or not.
>
> Thanks
> Guennadi
> ---
> Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.
> Freelance Open-Source Software Developer
> http://www.open-technology.de/

    DVP parallel part registers are 90% same, about 40% same for all
registers with about 5% conflict. My main concern is that cafe_ccic
driver structure and application usage is much simple and have no DMA
chain while SOC CCIC should support soc_camera/DMA chain/user pointer.
So it will take much effort to share DVP settings, such as image size
and HSYNC_PO/VSYNC_PO, etc.
    Is there any existing drivers with such similar abstraction for
decision making reference?

Thanks
Jun