On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 18:58 +0200, Christoph Bartelmus wrote:
> Hi Maxim,
>
> on 29 Jul 10 at 17:41, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >> This does not sound good. Of course the value is important to userspace
> >> and 2 spaces in a row will break decoding.
> >>
> >> Christoph
>
> > Could you explain exactly how timeout reports work?
>
> It all should be documented in the interface description. Jarod probably
> can point you where it can be found.
> Timeout reports can only be generated by the hardware because only the
> hardware can know the exact amount of time passed since the last pulse
> when any kind of buffering is used by the hardware. You see this esp. with
> USB devices.
In my case hardware doesn't have that capability.
However, I though that timeout reports are useful to stop hardware as
soon at timeout it hit.

> > Lirc interface isn't set to stone, so how about a reasonable compromise.
> > After reasonable long period of inactivity (200 ms for example), space
> > is sent, and then next report starts with a pulse.
> > So gaps between keypresses will be maximum of 200 ms, and as a bonus I
> > could rip of the logic that deals with remembering the time?
>
> For sure I will not agree to any constant introduced here. And I also
> don't see why. Can you explain why you are trying to change the lirc
> interface here?

Currently, to comply with strict lirc requirements I have to send one
big space between keypresses. Of course I can send it only when I get
next pulse, which might happen much later.

However, the in-kernel decoders depend on the last space to be sent
right away.
that it I need to and a keypress with a space, but currently it ends
with pulse.

So my idea was to wait reasonable time for next pulse, and if it doesn't
arrive, send a space mark even though no new pulse is registered.

Of course the size of that space can be configured.

Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky