On Mon, August 30, 2010 14:50, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em 29-08-2010 22:26, Andy Walls escreveu:
>> How about a keycode sensitive repeat delay?
>> A short delay for vol+/-, ch+/-, etc.
>> A medium delay for digits, fast forward, rewind, pause, play, stop, etc.
>> A long delay for power, mute, etc.
>
> There are two separate things here:
>
> 1) we need to fix a bug introduced for some remotes;
> 2) We may improve the repeat code at rc subsystem.
>
> For (1), a simple trivial patch is enough/desired. Let's first fix it, and
> then think on improvements.

I agree, and I think setting REP_DELAY = 500 is a good fix for now (note
that it needs to be set after registering the input device). We can tweak
the repeat handling further once rc_core has settled down.

> About a keycode sensitive delay, it might be a good idea, but
> there are some aspects to consider:
*snip*
> IMHO, this would add too much complexity for not much gain.

Agreed, the per-keycode-delay lists would probably not be welcome
in-kernel (as it's basically putting policy in the kernel) and even if we
implemented APIs to let userspace control it, I think it's unlikely that
the vast majority would ever use it (meaning we add useless complexity).

--
David Härdeman