On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 11:10:40AM -0400, Andy Walls wrote:
> Tag files and a decent editor are all one needs for full code
> navigation.  The kernel makefile already has a tags target to make the
> tags file.

If you like to use tags, it won't be affected by many or few files so
it's not an argument for either approach.

> Smaller files make for better logical isolation of functions,limiting
> visibilty/scope,

Limiting visibility so that you'll have to add explicit declarations to
ir-core-priv.h for inter-file function calls and functions that would
otherwise be unnecessary (ir_raw_get_allowed_protocols() for example)
doesn't sound like an advantage to me.

> and faster compilation of a file (but maybe at the expense of link
> time).

*sigh* compile times on my laptop:

rc-core.o               0.558s

ir-functions.o          0.321s
ir-sysfs.o              0.251s
ir-raw-event.o          0.397s
rc-map.o                0.265s

> That sort of isolation of functionality into smaller files also makes
> the code more digestable for someone new looking at it, IMO.

First of all, I personally find it much easier to grok a new subsystem
if the relevant parts are gathered into one file, both when I'm new to a
subsystem and when I'm used to it. drivers/input/input.c and
drivers/input/evdev.c come to mind as good examples.

But more importantly, how about focusing on the people actually writing
patches for ir-core rather than hypotetical people?

--
David Härdeman