Hello everyone,

One of these arrived at my door today, the world's first USB DVB-T2
tuner. So PCs can finally receive Freeview HD here in the UK... but only
on Windows.

My experience with Linux kernel development is more or less zilch - more
of a spectator sport for me, although I've been subscribed to
linux-media for a couple of months now. I will help how I can, but I
expect that by myself, this would take an awful long time and never make
it into the kernel. So everyone's help is appreciated.

Pics to follow once my camera battery is recharged, but here is
preliminary info:

dmesg
-----

[27892.030018] usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
address 54

lsusb
-----

Bus 002 Device 054: ID 2013:024f Unknown (Pinnacle?)
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x2013 Unknown (Pinnacle?)
  idProduct          0x024f
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 PCTV Systems
  iProduct                2 PCTV 290e
  iSerial                 3 00000006LL9R
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           55
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              500mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x84  EP 4 IN
        bmAttributes            1
          Transfer Type            Isochronous
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0000  1x 0 bytes
        bInterval               1
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x85  EP 5 IN
        bmAttributes            1
          Transfer Type            Isochronous
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0000  1x 0 bytes
        bInterval               1
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       1
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x84  EP 4 IN
        bmAttributes            1
          Transfer Type            Isochronous
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x03ac  1x 940 bytes
        bInterval               1
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x85  EP 5 IN
        bmAttributes            1
          Transfer Type            Isochronous
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x03ac  1x 940 bytes
        bInterval               1
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
  bLength                10
  bDescriptorType         6
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  bNumConfigurations      1
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)

PCB
---

It's a very small (smaller than most USB-stick tuners) device,
implemented on two PCBs sandwiched together.

Tuner: NXP TDA18271HDA2
USB IC: Empia em28174 (is this part of the 2874 family, the 2871, or
something else?
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Em28xx_devices#em2874 )
Demod: Sony CXD2820R

The demod is no surprise given it's about the only T2 compatible demod
out there (LSI might have one too, if memory serves).

So, what's next? Any PCTV Linux driver contributors active here? I will
next attempt to find a datasheet for the Sony demod, then grab some
usbsnoop data, although the only Windows machine I have that can get
near a fixed antenna is Atom powered... so it ain't great.

Questions, requests, demands and insults are all welcomed.

Steve Kerrison MEng Hons.
http://www.stevekerrison.com/