On 11/29/2010 05:24 AM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 2:54 AM, David Liontooth<lionte...@cogweb.net>  wrote:
I'm seeing great results with gnutv on HVR-1850 cards, but each recording
triggers the message

  DVR overflow

What is this, and what are the typical causes? What can I do to prevent it
from happening?
I don't know about gnutv specifically, but I do know that -EOVERFLOW
is returned when an application fails to read the
/dev/dvb/adapterX/dvr0 device fast enough.  It's the driver signaling
to the application that it did not read the file handle often/fast
enough and that the driver is going to drop packets to keep up.

The driver has a limited amount of buffering, so if you have a delay
that is too long between read() calls (or your read buffer is too
small to accommodate the data rate) you will encounter this condition.
Thanks, Devin! On my end, it looks like the DVR overflow was caused by the -out file being on a mirrored OS drive; I've moved output to a separate drive and don't see the error any more. If I run into this again, are there ways to make this more robust -- for instance, increase the cache size, either as a parameter to the kernel module, or in gnutv?

Cheers,
Dave