On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Alexey Chernov <4er...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, Steve,
> thank you very much for your comments!
>
> As for DVB maybe I'm not correct. The initialization itself, which the DVB
> part of patch is about, is fully tested by me and works successfully on my
> everyday PC. The thing I meant saying 'untested' concerned receiving DVB
> signal through the initialized device.
>
> So I think I was mistaken that the code itself is untested. I hope it's
> possible to add full of this patch.

Hello Alexey,

What I believe Steven is trying to say is the device successfully
initializing is not enough to consider the DVB part of the driver to
be "working".  If you have not seen the device receiving digital
television, the DVB parts of this patch should not be committed.

There are a variety of other reasons why DVB streaming would not work
even if the device properly initializes.  These can include an
improperly configured IF, wrong GPIOs, missing power management code,
etc.

It is far worse for a user to be led to believe the driver should be
working but doesn't then it is for the driver claim to not work with
DVB at all.  This is how we end up with users wasting hours wondering
what is wrong with their MythTV setup when in fact the driver never
actually worked in the first place.

Find someone to test the DVB parts of the board that it shows DVB
streaming.  If you cannot do that, remove those parts from the patch
until someone can be found who is able to test the functionality.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com