$ git log --oneline --no-merges 4270c3ca.. drivers/media/video/cx231xx
f5db33f [media] cx231xx: stray unlock on error path

Using that commit directly looks better. I still see the
UsbInterface::sendCommand failures, but the driver seems to finish the
initialization and looks for the firmware. So it seems something between
-rc2 and -rc5 in mainline made it regress ...

Uhm, no.  Looks like the difference is actually the .config

The stripped-down kernel with the driver compiled in statically for a quick test works fine, whereas the fedora-derived configuration doesn't.

/me continues burning cpu cycles with kernel builds ;)

cheers,
  Gerd