On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> [...]
> > that we want to pursue here - what exactly do we want to hard-code and
> > what we want to configure dynamically? As explained before, my preference
> > would be to only specify the absolute minimum in the platform data, i.e.,
> > parameters that either are ambiguous or special for this platform. So,
> > once again, my approach to configure interface parameters like signal
> > polarities and edge sensitivity is:
> >
> > 1. if at least one side has a fixed value of the specific parameter,
> > usually no need to specify it in platform data. Example: sensor only
> > supports HSYNC active high, host supports both, normally "high" should be
> > selected.
> >
> > 2. as above, but there's an inverter on the board in the signal path. The
> > "invert" parameter must be specified in the platform data and the host
> > will configure itself to "low" and send "high" confirmed to the sensor.
> >
> > 3. both are configurable. In this case the platform data has to specify,
> > which polarity shall be used.
> >
> > This is simple, it is implemented, it has worked that way with no problem
> > for several years now.
> >
> > The configuration procedure in this case looks like:
> >
> > 1. host requests supported interface configurations from the client
> > (sensor)
> >
> > 2. host matches returned parameters against platform data and its own
> > capabilities
> >
> > 3. if no suitable configuration possible - error out
> >
> > 4. the single possible configuration is identified and sent to the sensor
> > back for its configuration
> >
> > This way we need one more method: s_interface_parms.
> >
> > Shortly talking to Laurent earlier today privately, he mentioned, that one
> > of the reasons for this move is to support dynamic bus reconfiguration,
> > e.g., the number of used CSI lanes. The same is useful for parallel
> > interfaces. E.g., I had to hack the omap3spi driver to capture only 8
> > (parallel) data lanes from the sensor, connected with all its 10 lanes to
> > get a format, easily supported by user-space applications. Ideally you
> > don't want to change anything in the code for this. If the user is
> > requesting the 10-bit format, all 10 lanes are used, if only 8 - the
> > interface is reconfigured accordingly.
>
> I have no problems with dynamic bus reconfiguration as such. So if the host
> driver wants to do lane reconfiguration, then that's fine by me.
>
> When it comes to signal integrity (polarity, rising/falling edge), then I
> remain convinced that this should be set via platform data. This is not
> something that should be negotiated since this depends not only on the sensor
> and host devices, but also on the routing of the lines between them on the
> actual board, how much noise there is on those lines, the quality of the
> clock
> signal, etc. Not really an issue with PAL/NTSC type signals, but when you get
> to 1080p60 and up, then such things become much more important.

I understand this, but my point is: forcing this parameters in the
platform data doesn't give you any _practical_ enhancements, only
_psychological_, meaning, that you think, that if these parameters are
compulsory, programmers, writing board integration code, will be forced to
think, what values to configure. Whereas if this is not compulsory,
programmers will hope on automagic and things will break. So, this is
purely psychological. And that's the whole question - fo we trust
programmers, that they will anyway take care to set correct parameters, or
do we not trust them and therefore want to punish everyone because of
them. Besides, I'm pretty convinced, that even if those parameters will be
compulsory, most programmers will anyway just copy-paste them from
"similar" set ups...

Thanks
Guennadi

---