2011/2/24 Edward Hervey <bilb...@gmail.com>:

>  What *needs* to be solved is an API for data allocation/passing at the
> kernel level which v4l2,omx,X,GL,vdpau,vaapi,... can use and that
> userspace (like GStreamer) can pass around, monitor and know about.

I think the patches sent out from ST-Ericsson's Johan Mossberg to
linux-mm for "HWMEM" (hardware memory) deals exactly with buffer
passing, pinning of buffers and so on. The CMA (Contigous Memory
Allocator) has been slightly modified to fit hand-in-glove with HWMEM,
so CMA provides buffers, HWMEM pass them around.

Johan, when you re-spin the HWMEM patchset, can you include
linaro-dev and linux-media in the CC? I think there is *much* interest
in this mechanism, people just don't know from the name what it
really does. Maybe it should be called mediamem or something
instead...

Yours,
Linus Walleij