Hi Hans,

On Saturday 26 February 2011 14:56:18 Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On Saturday, February 26, 2011 14:39:54 Sylwester Nawrocki wrote:

> > > Yes, I know about this spec requirement, but I also know, that not all
> > > drivers do that and not everyone is happy about that requirement:)
> >
> > Right, similarly a v4l2 output device is not releasing the last buffer
> > to userland and keeps sending its content until a new buffer is queued to
> > the driver. But in case of capture device the requirement is a pain,
> > since it only causes draining the power source, when from a user view
> > the video capture is stopped. Also it limits a minimum number of buffers
> > that could be used in preview pipeline.
>
> No, we can't change this. We can of course add some setting that will
> explicitly request different behavior.
>
> The reason this is done this way comes from the traditional TV/webcam
> viewing apps. If for some reason the app can't keep up with the capture
> rate, then frames should just be dropped silently. All apps assume this
> behavior. In a normal user environment this scenario is perfectly normal
> (e.g. you use a webcam app, then do a CPU intensive make run).

Why couldn't drivers drop frames silently without a capture buffer ? If the
hardware can be paused, the driver could just do that when the last buffer is
given back to userspace, and resume the hardware when the next buffer is
queued.

> I agree that you might want different behavior in an embedded environment,
> but that should be requested explicitly.
>
> > In still capture mode (single shot) we might want to use only one buffer
> > so adhering to the requirement would not allow this, would it?
>
> That's one of the problems with still capture mode, yes.
>
> I have not yet seen a proposal for this that I really like. Most are too
> specific to this use-case (snapshot) and I'd like to see something more
> general.

I don't think snapshot capture is *that* special. I don't expect most embedded
SoCs to implement snapshot capture in hardware. What usually happens is that
the hardware provides some support (like two independent video streams for
instance, or the ability to capture a given number of frames) and the
scheduling is performed in userspace. Good quality snapshot capture requires
complex algorithms and involves several hardware pieces (ISP, flash
controller, lens controller, ...), so it can't be implemented in the kernel.

Laurent Pinchart