On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 15:04 +0100, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> The LED API is too limited. We need to program flash time, pre-flash time,
> current limits, report overheat/overcurrent events, ... See
> http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/ADP1653.pdf for an
> example of the features found in LED flash controllers.

OK.  Thanks.

Since, I have unwittingly managed to get myself into the position of
Devil's Advocate for the LED API, I should mention that a driver can add
whatever custom sysfs nodes it needs to the LED's sysfs directory, for
various parameter settings and controls.

Using those driver-custom sysfs nodes can lead to significant variation
in how applications must control LEDs exported via the LED API by
various drivers.  If *all* drivers in the kernel providing an LED API
don't have a common convention for controlling flash LED's, then you
have a problem analogous to the problem with driver-private V4L2
controls.

To clarify my position, I don't like the LED API being used in
conjunction with video capture applications.  The LED API is too
open-ended and more suited for twiddling LEDs with scripts, than for use
with general video capture or camera applications.

Regards,
Andy