On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinch...@ideasonboard.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> > of Linaro, ARM should think more and coordinate with partners better
>> > to come up a unified solution to make our life easier.)
>> >
>> > 2.4) Other companies also have their own private solutions because
>> > nobody can get a STANDARD interface from upstream, including Marvell,
>> > TI, Freescale.
>> >

>> > In general, it would be highly appreciated if Linaro guys could sit
>> > down together around a table, co-work with silicon vendors and
>> > upstream Linux kernel maintainers to make a unified (and cheaper than
>> > GEM/TTM/DRM) memory management module. This module should be reviewed
>> > carefully and strong enough to replace any other private memory
>> > manager mentioned above. It should replace PMEM for Android (with
>> > respect to Gralloc). And it could even be leveraged in DRM framework
>> > (as a primitive memory allocation provider under GEM).
>> >
>> > Anyway, such a module is necessary, because user space application
>> > cannot exchange enough information by a single virtual address (among
>> > different per-process virtual address space). Gstreamer, V4L and any
>> > other middleware could remain using a single virtual address in the
>> > same process. But a global handler/ID is also necessary for sharing
>> > buffers between processes.
>> >
>> > Furthermore, besides those well-known basic features, some advanced
>> > APIs should be provided for application to map the same physical
>> > memory region into another process, with 1) manageable fine
>> > CACHEable/BUFFERable attributes and cache flush mechanism (for
>> > performance); 2) lock/unlock synchronization; 3) swap/migration
>> > ability (optional in current stage, as those buffer are often expected
>> > to stay in RAM for better performance).
>> >
>> > Finally, and the most important, THIS MODULE SHOULD BE PUSHED TO
>> > UPSTREAM (sorry, please ignore all the nonsense I wrote above if we
>> > can achieve this) so that everyone treat it as a de facto well
>> > supported memory management module. Thus all companies could transit
>> > from current private design to this public one. And, let's cheer for
>> > the end of this damn chaos!
>>
>> FWIW, I don't know if a common memory management API is possible.  On
>> the GPU side we tried, but there ended up being too many weird
>> hardware quirks from vendor to vendor (types of memory addressable,
>> strange tiling formats, etc.).  You might be able to come up with some
>> kind of basic framework like TTM, but by the time you add the
>> necessary quirks for various hw, it may be bigger than you want.
>> That's why we have GEM and TTM and driver specific memory management
>> ioctls in the drm.
>
> I agree that we might not be able to use the same memory buffers for all
> devices, as they all have more or less complex requirements regarding the
> memory properties (type, alignment, ...). However, having a common API to pass
> buffers around between drivers and applications using a common ID would be
> highly interesting. I'm not sure how complex that would be, I might not have

On the userspace side, we pass buffers around using the DRI protocol.
Buffers are passed as handles, and the protocol is generic, however
all of the relevant clients are GPU specific at this point.  That may
change as we work on support for sharing buffers between drivers for
supporting things like hybrid laptops and multi-gpu rendering.

Alex